STARFISH: How many of you have a starfish in your reef?

Starfish in your reef aquarium?

• Yes I currently have one

Votes: 336 41.4%
  • No starfish for me

Votes: 227 28.0%
  • I have problems keeping them alive

Votes: 84 10.4%
  • I plan to add one in the future

Votes: 162 20.0%
  • other..

Votes: 54 6.7%

• Total voters

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, any tips on keeping a blue linkia? What size system is it living in? Any thoughts on diet? Th
My blue linkia is in a 280g mixed reef tank, along with the other 3 stars I have.
Stable parameters, luck and praying to Poisidon are my secrets.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed you Small Spine Sea Star? I had one, and I thought it was eating pieces of clams and oysters. Even thought it seemed to be okay, it died. Someone told me later on to feed it Angel Food, frozen formula.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large red serpent for years until my tank move. I have tons of microbrittle stars as I am sure everyone does. I try to keep control of the "asterina" if I can. I have also had a green predatory star that ate a fair few fish before I found it.
I have kept choc chip starfish, but not long after it ate my corals. It was for a harlequin that did not like it.
I have wanted to try others, but never felt I could feed them right.
What does the green star look like? I have a huge brittle star that came in on live rock, but I don't know if it's predatory...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Predatory green brittle stars are, well, green. You can look them up online. If it's a color other than green, it should leave live animals alone unless starving. To be fair, I, too, would try to catch and eat animals if I were starving to death.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stars we have are asterinas. We’d love to have a pretty one but have heard they’re difficult to keep alive in captivity unless you have pretty perfect conditions for them

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only stars we have are asterinas. We’d love to have a pretty one but have heard they’re difficult to keep alive in captivity unless you have pretty perfect conditions for them
I've had a couple if them , the condition you buy it in is the biggest factor. My current one which also has been alive the longest was very active before being bought, others have not been as active, moving at a snail's pace

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 4...
Red linkia, blue linkia, a brittle star (named “Legs”) and a tile starfish.
All seem to be happy and doing well.
The brittle star is one of my favorite things to watch in the reef. He’s always so quick to come out during feeding, and is not shy about cutting in line.
How are the Linckias doing for you now? I recently got a red one and it seems to be doing pretty well, but it's only been a couple of days in my 125. Hoping he does well long term!

Back