STARFISH: How many of you have a starfish in your reef?

Starfish in your reef aquarium?

• Yes I currently have one

Votes: 334 41.3%
  • No starfish for me

Votes: 227 28.1%
  • I have problems keeping them alive

Votes: 84 10.4%
  • I plan to add one in the future

Votes: 162 20.0%
  • other..

Votes: 54 6.7%

• Total voters

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an asterina that came from my live sand that had been sitting on the shelf for you knows how long. 2 micro bristles from “live” life rock from my LFS

Lazysavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried keeping a fromia. I heard they usually don’t last long it died over the course of about 7 months. I don’t think it was eating. I offered various foods and no luck. It would actually toss anything offered. I do plan to read up on these guys and go for round two.

Gary Stegman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody kept a yellow brittle starfish? I had one for several years then all of a sudden started losing legs? Don’t know why.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried keeping a fromia. I heard they usually don’t last long it died over the course of about 7 months. I don’t think it was eating. I offered various foods and no luck. It would actually toss anything offered. I do plan to read up on these guys and go for round two.
They don't eat any foods you can buy. They graze off hard surfaces, and will run out of food in all but massive tanks.

Bucx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a some: a double star fish, a sand sifting, 2 bristle and a serpent star

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brittle star about 8 inches.

All I really ever see is the tentacles. Rarely see the body.

I don't know if it helps the CuC or not. I just shoot some mysis at it when I feed.

I've had it a little over a year.

I do know one thing. When I had a salt level problem (too high) that caused a crash because of my irresponsibility the brittle star was the first victim.

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 2 sand sifting stars a few days ago and have not seen them since.

Added them because I read where they will keep the sand bed clean. Besides, I will definitely find out since I cannot siphon the sand bed anymore of fear to not stick it to either one of them. Did not clean the sand bed before anyway.

The verdict is still out on that one if I even see them again to know that they are still alive.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have it?

Because when I first got into the hobby 10+ years ago I purchased a starfish without knowing much about them I had a newer one that did something similiar. It was like it was a sweater that just unraveled. I then looked up and found they were hard to keep, never attempted another. Typical impulse buy failure.
He was about two years old.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to have a couple of serpent stars, but I have a mature gorilla crab since I set up the tank 1.5 years ago. Never able to catch it. I'm certain it was responsible for attacking and destroying both stars.
Otherwise it leaves everything else alone.

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sand sifting. Not a beautiful color and don't see often, but fun to watch scoot across sub straight! Peppermint shrimps cleans him when he is out!

ander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had red sea starfish for 24 h. Unfortunately it decayed on small parts. When I was buying the starfish, all starfish had a missing parts, so I thought , maybe they got damage during transportation- naive me.. Will I try to get a starfish again?- Yes, but from a diferent store..

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the ocean and a reef "setting" just seems incomplete without a starfish. But how many of us are actually housing one in our reef tanks? Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you have a starfish in your reef aquarium and if so what kind?

2. Do you think there is an advantage to having a starfish in your tank?

3. Do you have any problems keeping a starfish happy and thriving in your aquarium?

image via @Paul87
WNBw9ZS.jpg
Have a sand sifting starfish. While not as flashy/vivid as linckia or from is, it is also not picky or very fragile. It is a very beneficial detrivore and sand stirrer. And I would argue that even though it's not as colorful as some others, it's full of personality and starfishiness. Very cool/cute and very star fishy behavior. Definitely worth it and down right recommended as long as you have a sandy bottom.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back