Starfish ID?

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think this an asterina starfish but. What do you think about the size if a dime.

20171112_172454.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina is a genus, there are several species that make it up and that is probably one of them if it is the size of a dime. It looks like an asterina to me.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing that is confusing me is it is perfectly shaped. I have never seen an asterina that is perfectly shaped.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better it be uniform than not. Remove it.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks off and on since the early 2000's.. I have never had one munch on my corals.. but if and when I see one munching on one that one will be removed and no others.. I am in this hobby for the diversity and the things I don't get to see any other way.. I will always err on the side of letting something live and taking a wait and see attitude.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks off and on since the early 2000's.. I have never had one munch on my corals.. but if and when I see one munching on one that one will be removed and no others.. I am in this hobby for the diversity and the things I don't get to see any other way.. I will always err on the side of letting something live and taking a wait and see attitude.

Well said.

Everyone runs their system the way they want to. Good to know some people think similarly.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had one munch on corals until one day I noticed a asterina wrapped around our utter chaos zoas. Now we have hundreds and you can't tell them apart. The information given doesn't have to be taken and no said you have to take it out. Everyone's just trying to help since a question was posted.

OP
OP
easternreefer

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that.. but from my perspective I see way too much Kill it, get rid of it, its bad! and I reacted to that.. I got into this hobby many years ago to see and have things in my home that I would never see in their real environment. and for me the neatest and coolest things are the odd little creatures that create the reef environment in our aquaria. while the Corals and fish are what everyone else sees and looks at and I do enjoy them as well. It is the whole reef environment that gives me the greatest pleasure. all the pieces working together to sustain life that I may never really see.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back