Starfish ID

rustic_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help to determine if this is a good or bad starfish please! Thank you!!!

20211203_170930.jpg 20211203_170956.jpg

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an asterina. Some people say they have seen them feed on coral, I've had many in my tank for 3 years and never seen that. I do suck them up with water changes, though, they can overpopulate quickly.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Asterina, isn't it...?
Technically Aquilonastra, but everyone calls them ‘asterina’. I think they’re a harmless member of the CuC, but some people swear that certain species eat coral (in my twenty plus years in the hobby I’ve never seen it happen and have never seen definitive proof that they eat coral). So, it’s up to you if you want to take the risk (assuming there even is one). I’ve currently got them in my tank, and they’ve never hurt anything, so long as you don’t overfeed they won’t get out of control.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back