Starry Blenny Quarantine

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am receiving a Starry Blenny tomorrow from ReefBeauties (who have been super nice and helpful btw, just as a quick shoutout), and I want to start using the BRS Tv 80-20 quarantine procedure for wild caught fish. This means that the medicated water should be at 2.5 ppm using Copper Power, as well as adding nitrofurazone. I know that some fish are sensitive to instantly high levels of copper and need to be slowly acclimated. Does the Starry Blenny fall under this category? My actual plan is to add him to my QT with plain saltwater for a few days, get him eating and used to new environment, then do a 100% water change, shifting to fully medicated water. ReefBeauties also mentioned that they do a minor quarantine where they run a hypo-salinic system of 1.018 SSG with chelated copper (not sure about the actual level of copper), so does an aggressive medicated quarantine like this even need to be done?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am receiving a Starry Blenny tomorrow from ReefBeauties (who have been super nice and helpful btw, just as a quick shoutout), and I want to start using the BRS Tv 80-20 quarantine procedure for wild caught fish. This means that the medicated water should be at 2.5 ppm using Copper Power, as well as adding nitrofurazone. I know that some fish are sensitive to instantly high levels of copper and need to be slowly acclimated. Does the Starry Blenny fall under this category? My actual plan is to add him to my QT with plain saltwater for a few days, get him eating and used to new environment, then do a 100% water change, shifting to fully medicated water. ReefBeauties also mentioned that they do a minor quarantine where they run a hypo-salinic system of 1.018 SSG with chelated copper (not sure about the actual level of copper), so does an aggressive medicated quarantine like this even need to be done?
During the acclimation, assure you match salinity with that of your intended quarantine tank and run the copperpower as described. To clarify the copper treatment. . . . .. run at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment

OP
OP
E

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the acclimation, assure you match salinity with that of your intended quarantine tank and run the copperpower as described. To clarify the copper treatment. . . . .. run at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
I was going to drip acclimate the fish to match a salinity of 1.025 for the un-medicated water, which is what my display is at (and is the current level of my QT water). The medicated water would also be at this level. Are you saying to have it at 1.018? I have the Hanna Copper Checker already, and I will be performing a 100% water change every three days so I am not so concerned about ammonia, but I will be periodically checking as well. Air stone already in QT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was going to drip acclimate the fish to match a salinity of 1.025 for the un-medicated water, which is what my display is at (and is the current level of my QT water). The medicated water would also be at this level. Are you saying to have it at 1.018? I have the Hanna Copper Checker already, and I will be performing a 100% water change every three days so I am not so concerned about ammonia, but I will be periodically checking as well. Air stone already in QT.
no, 1.025 is correct. Test water for ammonia and do not change every three days or at all Unless absolutely needed as you are running a 30 day cycle in copperpower and water changes will break the cycle and cause you to start the cycle over

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would match your QT to 1.018 and bring it up slowly over days. 1.018 to 1.025 should not be done in one set, even with a drip.
You can bring the copper up in 24 hours, two partial doses to ensure you edge up to a proper dose. I don’t dose antibiotics unless I suspect a bacterial infection, but I do use prazi for flukes after copper. My quarantine protocol is posted at the top of the fish disease section here.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back