Started Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis and GHA... A daily report....

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to post a pic a day for anyone interested in following along as I run this treatment.

I am not going to lie, when I first heard about this treatment I was super skeptical knowing what a pain in the butt this stuff has been historically for anyone that has had the misfortune to get it in their system. But after reading through some threads and searching the internet for other people that have treated with this wonder drug I was and am thoroughly convinced as to its effectiveness and safety for the inhabitants of my reef tank. Here is the current situation. Day 1.....

20170226_153819.jpg

20170226_153755.jpg

20170226_153857.jpg

20170226_153734.jpg

20170226_153907.jpg

20170226_153923.jpg

20170226_153742.jpg

20170226_153849.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually pulled out as much as I could get by hand and siphon yesterday during my water change. I turned off my gfo and carbon for now. I will keep track of my parameters as we progress... Also, i left the skimmer on, but turned it all the way down and removed the cup. I have also removed my filter socks and will bleach them all and reinse to kill any spores and then return them in a few days to catch all the dying and dead algae!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread with tons of info in this particular forum by @NCreefguy . But it has over 2400 responses last I saw. So I figured I would show what I was doing in mimic of those others that have had great success. But in a smaller thread so people can follow along easier.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still run the 14 day treatment for GHA and then go back to normal?

It depends on if the gha is gone or not. It may take 21 days or so. It could possibly take a second treatment as well if there is a large amount of it to begin with.

hypnoj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post my results of using fluconazole to kill bryopsis as well. I had been battling it for about 8 months with failure until I dosed my tank with 20mg/gallon, stopped skimming, and no chemical filtration etc. After 3 weeks I can happily say that my tank is bryopsis free. It worked like a charm.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post my results of using fluconazole to kill bryopsis as well. I had been battling it for about 8 months with failure until I dosed my tank with 20mg/gallon, stopped skimming, and no chemical filtration etc. After 3 weeks I can happily say that my tank is bryopsis free. It worked like a charm.
Thanks for the encouragement! Im sure I can speak for all of us when I say we are all tired of dealing with this stuff. Ive been working on getting rid of mine for months now. Mainly because I thought I was dealing with GHA in the first place....

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @NCreefguy thanks for weighing in on the thread. Your thread/story/experiment is what made me go ahead with this treatment. I think its safe to say you and those on the leading edge of this treatment have given/are giving many of us our joy back. I for one was really thinking about tearing everything out and starting over..... Not any more!
DEATH TO BRYOPSIS AND GHA!!!!!!!!

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @NCreefguy thanks for weighing in on the thread. Your thread/story/experiment is what made me go ahead with this treatment. I think its safe to say you and those on the leading edge of this treatment have given/are giving many of us our joy back. I for one was really thinking about tearing everything out and starting over..... Not any more!
DEATH TO BRYOPSIS AND GHA!!!!!!!!

It won't be long and you'll start seeing some results. Just wait until all that algae is gone and all you can do is smile. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back