Started Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis and GHA... A daily report....

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the hairs of it sticking up but do have the roots and the roots are spreading so I'm in a similar situation as you. I do think that they're spreading because my no.3 is very high. And has been from the start. I believe that if my no.3 was quite low in the first place it would have killed it off completely. And I also believe that the second dose was pretty much worthless in my case because my no.3 is still too high. At least that's what my situation seems to be. I believe the NO3 fuels the root system. Best of luck to you ! Oh and I did not get cyanobacteria at least not the red kind. I do have some green in my Sump and I've noticed a few spots here and there that are very very tiny in the DT
Right on. My No3 is and has always been pretty low in this system. Like undetectable and it only rose to .25ppm at its peak during the treatment. My Po4 went from undetectable to .16ppm, but I have slowly lowered it to about .02ppm with water changes and GFO running in my reactor. I hope that running the GFO reactor this entire treatment will keep it in check and cause the algae to succumb to the treatment!

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Session 2, Day 2....
20170329_173700.jpg
20170329_173828.jpg
20170329_173759.jpg
20170329_173709.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. My No3 is and has always been pretty low in this system. Like undetectable and it only rose to .25ppm at its peak during the treatment. My Po4 went from undetectable to .16ppm, but I have slowly lowered it to about .02ppm with water changes and GFO running in my reactor. I hope that running the GFO reactor this entire treatment will keep it in check and cause the algae to succumb to the treatment!
Well my no3 used to always be undetectable and couldn't get any no matter how hard i tried until i came across stump remover. Then i messed up and put in too much. With no surviving chaeto i haven't been able to go lower than 20ppm. I ordered a bunch and have a friend bringing me some on friday. So between now and then i am doing a thorough equipment cleaning as well as changing out all media reactors and doing about a hundred gallons total of a water change. That should at least get me back down to 10-20 PPM Then I will begin vodka dosing for a month and try fluconazole one more time if need be. I think the roots that I have left are green hair algae or something other than bryopsis. And if that is true the Vodka may actually knock it out since it's only roots.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is this stuff?? Safe on sps as well?
Yes it is safe on SPS. I have a 180g full acros and montis and only one was upset although it could have been caused by the stump remover and not the fluconazole. In any case it came back. Pocilloporas are finicky anyway. It comes to around $30 For 20 - 200 mg capsules. 1 200mg capsule per 10g of total water volume as ONE dose.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is safe on SPS. I have a 180g full acros and montis and only one was upset although it could have been caused by the stump remover and not the fluconazole. In any case it came back. Pocilloporas are finicky anyway. It comes to around $30 For 20 - 200 mg capsules. 1 200mg capsule per 10g of total water volume as ONE dose.

So for 50gallons total volume you would dose 5-200mg capsules/day

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for 50gallons total volume you would dose 5-200mg capsules/day
5 only once not per day. Waite 14-21 days if a 2nd dose is needed. Bryopsis is usually gone before 14 days and green hair algae takes as long as 21 days. It depends on how much you have of it before treatment. I would suggest if you have a bunch and it's long pull out as much as you can first. Then turn off your carbon or remove it and remove the cup on your skimmer. Some people keep their gfo running which I would suggest doing it doesn't harm it either way. And if you're running purigen remove it from your system

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note. There is at least 50 species of bryopsis and even more of green hair algae. This is not guaranteed to kill every species. But the most common ones seem to bite the dust with this medication.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note. There is at least 50 species of bryopsis and even more of green hair algae. This is not guaranteed to kill every species. But the most common ones seem to bite the dust with this medication.

I have very very small areas that have a few pieces of bubble algae and GHA. I manually remove as necessary. It usually takes a long time to grow back. Is this something you recommend? Why remove skimmer cup? I have chaeto, is it safe? I don't run carbon or GFO.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't kill bubble algae. If you have a small amount of gha and no coral on that rock I would scrub the rock, dip in hydrogen peroxide and put it back in your tank. If you have Coral in your tank you can dose hydrogen peroxide to kill green hair algae. And honestly I lost about a 5 gallon buckets worth of chaeto. I'm not sure what did it in and I'm not going to say fluconazole did it because that was also dosing vibrant previously.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't kill bubble algae. If you have a small amount of gha and no coral on that rock I would scrub the rock, dip in hydrogen peroxide and put it back in your tank. If you have Coral in your tank you can dose hydrogen peroxide to kill green hair algae. And honestly I lost about a 5 gallon buckets worth of chaeto. I'm not sure what did it in and I'm not going to say fluconazole did it because that was also dosing vibrant previously.

Ya man a tank full of coral. It's leaching from a few base rocks. PO4 reads 0.05 on hanna. H2O2 is scary to me also because I tried the trick where you pull some and put some in the container with it. It bubbled, but never turned white. I didn't wait very long though, how long does that usually take?

IMG_7694.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya man a tank full of coral. It's leaching from a few base rocks. PO4 reads 0.05 on hanna. H2O2 is scary to me also because I tried the trick where you pull some and put some in the container with it. It bubbled, but never turned white. I didn't wait very long though, how long does that usually take?

IMG_7694.JPG
Bummer. If h202 didn't turn it white then it's probably a species of bryopsis. I would try this treatment but to be safe I would put your chaeto in something like a 10 gallon tank and keep it Tumbling With the light on to keep it alive while you do the treatment.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should show signs of lightening in a few hours if it's gha especially if you put quite a bit oh h202 on it per ratio of water.

Oh I only left it in there for like 10-12 minutes. I though that it would act quicker. I should try again.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very very small areas that have a few pieces of bubble algae and GHA. I manually remove as necessary. It usually takes a long time to grow back. Is this something you recommend? Why remove skimmer cup? I have chaeto, is it safe? I don't run carbon or GFO.
I ran my first treatment the full 21 days with chaeto in my sump. It was not affected negatively. I had to harvest it regularly during the treatment actually. Some people have reported issues, but in my instance it is still growing and good to go. I actually just harvested a bunch right before my second round of treatment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back