Started My Nitrogen Cycle??

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I believe I understand the nitrogen cycle, it's pretty straight forward, but I'm missing something here. I started the cycle with Dr. Tim's Ammonia, and have been testing for about a week. The Ammonia is still high, I have not seen any Nitrite (test almost daily), and no nitrate. I am performing this "cycle" in two separate systems, both heated to 78, both with flow, one with dry rock and the other with media from the Tidal 55. I have been recording all this in Aquaticlog, NYBumkin is my nickname there.

Any thoughts?!?!

Thanks!

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with MicroBacter7 on day one, day two Ammonia from Dr. Tim's. Kept on dosing the Microbacter7 then added the Dr. Tim's One and Only on day 5.

This is on my 10g quarantine tank.

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 8.06.25 PM.png

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added the ammonia, you started the cycle. Every tank is different and will require other timings to complete the stages. I would stop adding anything to the tank and just put in some fish food that will start decaying... Nature will finish the rest

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added the ammonia, you started the cycle. Every tank is different and will require other timings to complete the stages. I would stop adding anything to the tank and just put in some fish food that will start decaying... Nature will finish the rest
I may do that. To be clear, the fish food would decay and turn into ammonia, among other things, correct?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Marine Care Kit
Funny thing is, my friend @ylreefer had this same problem with this test kit. I believe he had a seachem ammonia badge that was showing no ammonia but he was getting false readings from the RS kit.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may do that. To be clear, the fish food would decay and turn into ammonia, among other things, correct?
Yes. Usually you do something like this as a test to see if your tank can withstand the addition of an ammonia source and break it down.

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, my friend @ylreefer had this same problem with this test kit. I believe he had a seachem ammonia badge that was showing no ammonia but he was getting false readings from the RS kit.
I have the Seachem badge in the QT, it shows ammonia for sure. Started yellow, now is the ugly green/grey. I did a 10% water change yesterday and a 50% change today. Red Sea test kit showed 1.2 after the 50% change. As accurate as it can be, but it was definitely not the bright green I had been getting. So i believe the kit is ok?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Seachem badge in the QT, it shows ammonia for sure. Started yellow, now is the ugly green/grey. I did a 10% water change yesterday and a 50% change today. Red Sea test kit showed 1.2 after the 50% change. As accurate as it can be, but it was definitely not the bright green I had been getting. So i believe the kit is ok?
Supposedly you can add a fish in day one with MB7. Ive seen tanks set up in one day so many times. Cycling is probably the easiest part in this hobby. As for the test kit, I don’t know. Personally I have never tested for ammonia and nitrites other than using a seachem ammonia badge. If you’re really unsure, I’d get another bottle of a different bacteria and see if your LFS or a friend can help test your water with a different kit.

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly you can add a fish in day one with MB7. Ive seen tanks set up in one day so many times. Cycling is probably the easiest part in this hobby. As for the test kit, I don’t know. Personally I have never tested for ammonia and nitrites other than using a seachem ammonia badge. If you’re really unsure, I’d get another bottle of a different bacteria and see if your LFS or a friend can help test your water with a different kit.
Unfortunately this kind of result is pretty common for me, in everything. Easy for everyone else is flying to the moon with a hang glider for me

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was the salifert test kit though not RS.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your QT tank log in Aquaticlog, there is not much of a substrate for bacteria colonize. In the log you also wrote that you removed the foam filter. Just a thought here, but maybe there is not enough places for bacteria in the system? I would consider adding some substrate to the HOB (if there is not some there already) and keep ammonia at 2ppm with either food or ammonium chloride. Other than that just relax and enjoy the cycling process. As Euphyllia97 stated, every system is different.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop doing water changes until the cycle is complete.
Dose the ammonia until you get 2ppm on your Red Sea test. Keep measuring daily and keep ammonia about 2ppm. Nitrites will show up soon and spike, followed by nitrates. Once you can convert 2ppm ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours you are good to do water change and add livestock. You really don’t need the bacteria as the cycle will produce it for you. And if you can clear 2ppm per day you will have a good beneficial bacteria base to start from. I would expect 4-6 weeks for this process, even if you dose bacteria. Patience will pay off in my experience.

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your QT tank log in Aquaticlog, there is not much of a substrate for bacteria colonize. In the log you also wrote that you removed the foam filter. Just a thought here, but maybe there is not enough places for bacteria in the system? I would consider adding some substrate to the HOB (if there is not some there already) and keep ammonia at 2ppm with either food or ammonium chloride. Other than that just relax and enjoy the cycling process. As Euphyllia97 stated, every system is different.
I have. Couple foam filters in the main part of the tank too. But I will add media and see how it goes
Oh... and try and relax and be patient. Lol.

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop doing water changes until the cycle is complete.
Dose the ammonia until you get 2ppm on your Red Sea test. Keep measuring daily and keep ammonia about 2ppm. Nitrites will show up soon and spike, followed by nitrates. Once you can convert 2ppm ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours you are good to do water change and add livestock. You really don’t need the bacteria as the cycle will produce it for you. And if you can clear 2ppm per day you will have a good beneficial bacteria base to start from. I would expect 4-6 weeks for this process, even if you dose bacteria. Patience will pay off in my experience.
Ok, from what I read on Dr Tim’s website it seemed I would see nitrite fairly quick, but nothin in the first 5 days. I’ll keep on keeping on. Thanks!

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, from what I read on Dr Tim’s website it seemed I would see nitrite fairly quick, but nothin in the first 5 days. I’ll keep on keeping on. Thanks!
They will come. If you don’t see nitrites about day 10 I would be suspicious of the test.

OP
OP
NYBumkin

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the media bag from my new Tidal 75 to the QT tank as well, and updated the photo as it did change slightly since I started. Thank you for your thoughts!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back