Starting a Biocube Night Light Tank

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you link a build thread to your account. Just started my nano build and darn it I want my badge…lol

This is the info they gave me when I was new:
One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

OP
OP
Baby's_1st_Reef

Baby's_1st_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking in - How’s your wife doing?
That's so kind of you to inquire about her. She's doing well, our son actually decided to arrive a couple of weeks early and he's a month old already. It really is crazy how quickly the time flies by.

Unfortunately on the tank side, he arrived before an automatic feeder did and when we got back from our hospital stay our pair of clowns had perished. I felt really bad about it, since I wasn't here I can't say for certain what happened, but I'm sure lack of food was a factor. We ran the tank fishless for a month and our two hermits and trochus snails kept the place tidy. But with my parents watching the little guy we we went and restocked a pair of clowns and they are doing well. Night light aspect is working well. Will be really fun to see it with an anemone or some flowy corals when the tank is ready.

hydrojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! IMO, the 14g biocube isn’t large enough for a pair of clowns, once they reach adult size they’ll have 3-4 times their body length to swim without having to turn around. The 14g biocube really only holds a little less than 12g including the back chambers (so less than 10g in the display, not including the water that will be displaced by rock and sand), so with 6-8” worth of fish the tank would be borderline overstocked. There are plenty of colorful and active fish that work in a tank this size, but IMO, it’s just not big enough for a pair of clowns.
I had a pair of clowns and a royal gramma in a biocube 14 for 12 years, clown fish definitely don't mind a smaller tank

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so kind of you to inquire about her. She's doing well, our son actually decided to arrive a couple of weeks early and he's a month old already. It really is crazy how quickly the time flies by.

Unfortunately on the tank side, he arrived before an automatic feeder did and when we got back from our hospital stay our pair of clowns had perished. I felt really bad about it, since I wasn't here I can't say for certain what happened, but I'm sure lack of food was a factor. We ran the tank fishless for a month and our two hermits and trochus snails kept the place tidy. But with my parents watching the little guy we we went and restocked a pair of clowns and they are doing well. Night light aspect is working well. Will be really fun to see it with an anemone or some flowy corals when the tank is ready.

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Wish you all you and your family all the best!

Glad to hear that the reefing is also going well. Pretty soon you will be sharing this great hobby with him!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of clowns and a royal gramma in a biocube 14 for 12 years, clown fish definitely don't mind a smaller tank
I disagree. I’m not saying it’s not possible to keep a pair of clownfish in a 14g biocube (the display is closer to 10g), but it’s not ideal and I don’t think it should be encouraged. I also think two full grown clowns (percula/ocellaris) look way too big in such a small tank, it ruins the sense of scale/proportions. A fish should have more than 2-4 body lengths of room to swim in any direction.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back