Starting a cycle with Fritz Zyme 9, how much should I dump in my system?

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reached the point of being ready to start the cycle in my newly set up Waterbox Marine X 90.3, and I will be using Fritz Zyme 9 to get the cycle started.

I have a 32oz bottle of Fritz Zyme 9 which recommends using:
4oz per 5 gallons for new systems and
2oz per 5 gallons for established systems.

My display is 59.3 gallons and my sump is 25.7 gallons.

In the display I have 60 pounds of caribsea arag-alive special grade sand, and a fair amount of carib sea liferock. (see attached pictures).
I'm going to put some more liferock in the sump before I start the cycle... but my question is this:

Should I run out and buy another 32oz bottle of zyme 9? Roughly 85 gallons of volume in my system, minus ~10(?) gallons from rock and sand displacement (maybe more?). Plus my sump isn't filled to the brim, so subtract another 10 gallons? Therefore, there is approximately 65 gallons of water in circulation.?

my maths....
(85 - 10 -10 = 65g)
(4oz per 5 gal)
(65/5 = 13)
--> 13*4 = 52 oz
So if I follow the directions, I would need 52oz of fritz zyme 9, since this is a new system.

Should I go buy another bottle? Or would 32oz be fine?

Not sure if my rock/sand volume displacement estimations are even close, please see the attached images for reference.

Also, will be doing a full build thread! Excited to get started.

tempImageYprLkN.png tempImagemnveJg.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine as bottled bacteria isn't necessary in the first place. Follow instructions as normal and go slow. Let your test results dictate what to do next.

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine as bottled bacteria isn't necessary in the first place. Follow instructions as normal and go slow. Let your test results dictate what to do next.
So you think I should get another bottle so that I'm adding closer to the 4oz per 5 gal of a new system as indicated in the instructions?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to add some food or other ammonia source to feed the bacteria. With good quality bottled bac, you're pretty much instant cycled anyway. That's not a license to add a ton of fish right away, but I've never had a problem adding a couple hardy fish in this situation assuming my key parameters have been stable. Have fun!

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to add some food or other ammonia source to feed the bacteria. With good quality bottled bac, you're pretty much instant cycled anyway. That's not a license to add a ton of fish right away, but I've never had a problem adding a couple hardy fish in this situation assuming my key parameters have been stable. Have fun!
My LFS advised me to wait 24-48 hours before putting my clowns in - I did buy some pellets though in case I wanted to ghost feed. Would you recommend ghost feeding until I get my clowns in?

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway the heater can go in the sump?
Lookin good!
-d
I can definitely throw the heater in the sump - I'm having some technical difficulties with my primary heater system.

I've been in contact with innovative marine about it but my 400w Helio PTC heater system is malfunctioning and only able to heat up 1 of the heating elements (instead of both at the same time like it is supposed to).

So I went out and bought that eheim jager because my temps were low 70's. I tried it in the sump earlier but thought the heat might get distributed fasted by putting it next to my Nero 5 and cranking the heat up to the 80's.

Is my logic correct on getting everything up to heat faster by having it in the display? Or should I throw it back down in the sump?

Current at 76.3F, trying to get to 78F.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup. I'd also recommend another powerhead. Allows you to run them at lower speed while getting more flow in the tank. Prevents dead spots.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have everything you need to start the cycle already. If I may add one additional thought. This will not do anything to help the tank you are setting up. This addition is to prepare for the unknown future. If you add something like this:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-2-pack-filter-sponges

The sponges will cycle along with your tank. In the case of an emergency, you have a leak, you need a QT, whatever the case may be. You can move the sponges into the new holding tank and you have your cycle done. It's easier than trying to move some rock, or needing another bottle of starter or any other multiple options. The sponges can just float. Possibly put them in the chamber your tank inlet is in or even under your filter socks. Really anywhere would work.

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have everything you need to start the cycle already. If I may add one additional thought. This will not do anything to help the tank you are setting up. This addition is to prepare for the unknown future. If you add something like this:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-2-pack-filter-sponges

The sponges will cycle along with your tank. In the case of an emergency, you have a leak, you need a QT, whatever the case may be. You can move the sponges into the new holding tank and you have your cycle done. It's easier than trying to move some rock, or needing another bottle of starter or any other multiple options. The sponges can just float. Possibly put them in the chamber your tank inlet is in or even under your filter socks. Really anywhere would work.
Okay good idea. Thanks for the advice!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a fishless cycle with ammonia, 3 companies has the product (Tim's Aquatics, Fritz Aquatics, Brightwell Aquatics).
Imo, you would end up with a stronger bacteria bed since there is plenty of food for the bottled bacteria and the cycle would in most likelihood be quicker.

OP
OP
C

Cincy_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a fishless cycle with ammonia, 3 companies has the product (Tim's Aquatics, Fritz Aquatics, Brightwell Aquatics).
Imo, you would end up with a stronger bacteria bed since there is plenty of food for the bottled bacteria and the cycle would in most likelihood be quicker.
Are you talking about a product like this in the link below?
Fritz fishless fuel

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was.
Currently I am cycling a 70g tank with the Brightwell version along with their XLM bacteria.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back