Starting a new Aquaforest tank

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by Aquanino, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Aquanino

Aquanino Member

Hi, I am in the process of upgrading my main display so I decided to pick up a RSM650 for a good price to start moving some stock across, and then decided to do an Aquaforest tank. I had to replace the glass as they were badly scratch so will have to wait for another 10days for the silicone to set.

The tank will have RSM650 T5 lights (any advice here, are they any good?), Reef Octopus SRO3000INT skimmer, 3.0 vertex zeo reactor, I also have another vertex media reactor if I can’t fit all zeo, carbon and Phos in here. I am adding a UV ( I know not advisable with zeo but my first fish in here is a Gem Tang already waiting for me at the LFS) My old profilux 3, vertex Doser and some additional powerheads. I need to get a chiller as this tank is sitting in the guest room so can’t use fan based coolers which are so much cheaper and use like hardly any power but causes a lot of moisture in the room.

I have read about 60% of the Aquaforest threads and want to confirm a few things as I see there has been some variation of methods over the year or so.

The water will be about 400l from my main display and 200l with AF reef salt. I will move 2 pieces of live rock from my main display into the sump of the RSM. I have 1.2l life bio fil to start. I have also ordered 25L of 25mm Sera Siporax.

How much zeo Stones should I start with, 0.65kg?
    Is it correct that I start with the recommended dosage of AF phos and AF Carbon from the get go.
    Should I use 6 drops of Bio S from the start and that there should be no NP pro until the 2 weeks is over.
    Since I am using the Life Bio Fil, how much of siporax will be actually required?
    I will have more questions once everything is up and running and will post pics of the progress. Below is a pic of tank as of now. The bracing will go in tomorrow. Thx 30EF6564-0E17-4029-8FA5-6B246CCFA0B2.jpeg

Tags:

2. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Hey welcome to R2R and Aquaforest forum.

Congrats on getting a bigger tank. Now, lets start with the transition. For the UV i will suggest either use it intermittently or not using it at all. I will quarantine the fish if possible. Probiotics system really dont like UV. AF zeo actually does not need to be shaken and hence you really dont need that vertex geo reactor like zeovit. You can put the zeo, carbon and GFO in that single reactor. You can use all those siporax but wash them well with RODI water before putting into your system. Siporax will take 3-4 months before it starts working and you see the effect. Thats its seeding time. You can put some life biofil with the siporax to seed it faster. I will go with half of the recommended volume for GFO and carbon to start with and then replace them twice a month for first couple of months. I will do the same with zeostones too. I just don't want you to strip the water completely.
    Regarding usage of Bio S you can go full dose for first 15 days with NP Pro and then shift to Pro bio S.

Let us know if you need any more help and keep us updated.

3. Aquanino

Aquanino Member

Thanks for the speedy response @Anirban This would be the middle tank for now. Upgrading from my 1200L to 2x3000L but that will be a very long (and expensive) project. I will be transitioning most corals and some fish to this tank from the 1200l. This is a bit small for fish like my sohal and Achilles so those will have to stay back. On the quarantine I have my moorish idol in there for few months now, he one day woke up and decided that my acans and sps taste awesome. So I could quarantine my gem there and ditch the UV.

I have used zeo before the pumping everyday was extremely annoying hence me wanting to try AF.

Just to clarify, you are saying that for the first few months, let’s say 3 I will replace carbon and phos every 2 weeks. Zeo Stones would be half the recommended amount but change every 6 weeks or will this also be every 2 weeks.

4. Anirban

Anirban Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Morrish idols are interesting fish but I hate their snacking habits.

For the first 2 months use GFO and and carbon half dose but change in every two weeks as this will be a new system with some nutrient spikes. Zeo stones you can go for a month before you change and yes half the recommended volume for first two month.

120reefkeeper and Aquanino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted