Starting a new build after a long hiatus, need advice

Tråsh_Påndå

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have decided to start a new build after about a decade of not being in the hobby. I was a full saltwater reef fanboy and then I lost a child very unexpectedly and my world basically stopped for a while. I have decided on a CADE Reef 1200 S2 as my next aquarium. I know with this system I’ll need a skimmer, lights, return pump, power head and probably a chiller and heater. I also like the idea of the Neptune system to help monitor things efficiently. Do you all have any other advice or items I’ll need to get this up and running? I installed a 7 stage RO/DI system in my garage this morning. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific brands of the items I mentioned above? I plan on running zoas, palys, torches, hammers, toadstools, zenia, Duncan’s and mushrooms mainly and a few reef friendly fish.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and I appreciate any and all advice. Mike.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps I like Sicce SDC and Abyzz.
Skimmers and reactors I like Nyos.
Gyres I like Red Sea; wavemakers I like EcoTech.
Neptune for control, monitoring, dosing, testing, etc.
EcoTech Radion G5/G6 for lighting.
AquaUV or Pentair for UV sterilizer.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps, I have had good luck with Sicce.
Skimmers - I have used Reef Octopus and it did fine. Really skimmers are just a tube with something that makes bubbles in the bottom. As long as the build is good, they should last quite awhile and give good service.
For power heads, I have really done well with Ecotech. They are pricey.
Neptune is a good controller.
LED lighting - Ecotech Radion is top of the line (as far as I can tell). It gives the most even light. I have used Aquaillumination. The light is a bit uneven on the older models. I hear they have improved, Bit mine grow acropora corals just fine.
I don’t use a UV sterilizer.
You should get an RODI unit. I bought a Bulk Reef Supply one because BRS has a scad of you tube videos on them. It has given me good service. But there are plenty of other companies that produce quality RODI units.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back