Starting a new reef tank! Coralife Biocube 32g

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I've been reefing for about a year and a half now and unexpectedly, due to covid, I'm going to be moving soon. In the process of moving, I'd like to take advantage of it and expand to a bigger tank. I currently have the Fluval Evo 13.5g and am heavily considering switching to the Coralife LED Biocube Aquarium 32g. I've been enjoying the all in one style of the Fluval, but would like to have more space and I think that the more vertical build of the Coralife tank will allow for some more variety with aquascaping, while not being too big for my budget. I also am very happy to see that the Coralife has light timers built in!

So here goes my question: For those of you have the Coralife Biocube 32g, how do you like it? And, if you don't mind taking the time, what are your recommended/must have hardware and accessories for the tank? Like heaters, powerheads, etc.

I want to know all your Coralife 32g tips! Thank you!

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the Biocube but went for the Fluval Flex 32. Both great tanks. I personally liked the Fluval horizontal shape and the fact that it’s rimless. So if I decide to remove the hood later it will not be an issue. The Fluval led light comes with a programmable app too. As far as the Biocube, I think the led light is slightly better than the Flex. Both will grow most coral. You’ll want to look into upgrading the back filter basket to InTank media baskets.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the Biocube but went for the Fluval Flex 32. Both great tanks. I personally liked the Fluval horizontal shape and the fact that it’s rimless. So if I decide to remove the hood later it will not be an issue. The Fluval led light comes with a programmable app too. As far as the Biocube, I think the led light is slightly better than the Flex. Both will grow most coral. You’ll want to look into upgrading the back filter basket to InTank media baskets.

Oh wow, that Flex has a very cool shape! That's good to know that the Biocube light is slightly better than the Flex, because I probably won't be removing the hood and stock light for a long time. Do you like the fluval programmable app better than the Biocube's system?

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I luv the flex. The app for the light is great. I do have the ability to add a second led light (if needed) so that will make it much better than the biocube. But honestly I don‘t think it’s needed. The light is pretty powerful as is. My only issue is the temp. With all hooded aquariums you will have issues with higher temps. Mine is hovering around 79-81 which is why some folks suggest losing the hood. The good news with hoods is you generally have less evaporation. I’m running 2 Jabao SINE SOW 4 wave pumps which is more than enough flow. I have a heater but dont think I need it. Skimmers on 32g tanks are optional. They don’t hurt but if you do weekly water changes you don’t need one (in my opinion). A lot of the nano skimmers don’t work that well anyway. The Flex has 3 chambers in the back. I’m going to use one of them as a mini refugium. I do like the fact the Flex is glass and not plexiglass.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it! I do have a skimmer that was on my evo 13.5, but it never worked that well. Will definitely look into the flex, because I'm hoping to do a mini refugium as well at some point.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a biocube 16 for years, and a Nanocube 12 for years before that. One thing to be aware of is that the stock light is really only capable of making softies and LPS happy. If you know that going in, they're great little tanks!

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not believe everything that you read my 15 gallon tank is a cheap 12x12x24 inch that I purchased at oh my god a petco store I use 2 10-30 gallon fluval aqua clear filters and a small power head that has adjustable flow and pulse my filters are filled with small ceramic tubes and nothing else and I feed pe mysis shrimp daily

image.jpg E81EAE79-6155-4BB9-887C-151A67B05137.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back