Starting a new tank in Montana

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! Hopefully someone local can point you in the right direction!
20230123_222953.gif

OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm in the same situation with Petco being the nearest supplier for saltwater fish. Our local Petco in Coeurd'Alene is run by some local hobbyists and actually has a pretty good selection. Other wise, it's a 45 minute drive to Spokane.
Yeah, the big stores like PetCo are hit and miss. I was at the one in Missuola the other day and every live rock was just crawling with bristle worms. Not ever buying from there.

OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, im in montana! Big state though so about 6 hours away from butte! Im up by the Yaak. I haven’t been to the shop in bozeman, but i have bought some things from reef missoula. Knew the previous owner pretty well but he sold it last year. Ive ordered a fish or two from the new owner but ive got mixed feelings about the shop now. Honestly though, I usually go to the couerdalene idaho petco which is actually really good, or spokane washington to the reef store there if i want to buy in person. Unfortunately in Montana it seems to be best buying online. Wish i had a reefstore within 150 miles but i suppose thats a problem with living in the middle of nowhere!
Is Reef Missuola still there? I could not find it the other day. The address the internet gave me was an empty store front.

OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I was going to have to get this tank going ordering online. Any suggestions on where to buy live sand, and rock over the internet? Also, good aquarium starter kits? 10 to 15 gallon. I've got no equipment. Starting from scratch. Again.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for starter kits ill be getting rid of my 16 biocube sooner rather than later. Hopefully upgrading the big tank to a bigger tank soon and would rather just deal with one tank. Or if you are just looking at getting new, these are pretty cool.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the big stores like PetCo are hit and miss. I was at the one in Missuola the other day and every live rock was just crawling with bristle worms. Not ever buying from there.
Bristle worms are about the best detritivore you can have in your aquarium. I wouldn't let that deter you.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a legitimate place to live again and trying to get a new tank going. Figured I'm join R2R and see if i could connect with other folks. I live in Butte Montana and am finding it really difficult to locate any shops that sell reef supplies. There was a great shop in Bozeman but they seem to have closed. I drove up to Missoula a few days ago to check out Reef Missoula and their store front was empty as well. Is there any shops in Montana anymore? Or am i going to have to get all my stuff from PetCo?
Help if you can. Thanks-

Welcome and Welcome Back to Hobby! Glad you joined and glad it sounds like things have turned around positively for you.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Butte:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Shawn4105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a legitimate place to live again and trying to get a new tank going. Figured I'm join R2R and see if i could connect with other folks. I live in Butte Montana and am finding it really difficult to locate any shops that sell reef supplies. There was a great shop in Bozeman but they seem to have closed. I drove up to Missoula a few days ago to check out Reef Missoula and their store front was empty as well. Is there any shops in Montana anymore? Or am i going to have to get all my stuff from PetCo?
Help if you can. Thanks-
Redjosh,
reef Missoula has changed hand and moved to bigger location, it’s now blue reef coral, he’s a great guy can order you anything you looking for.
  • bwmGKGh4YjO.png

2301 Palmer st #4, Missoula, MT, United States, Montana
    VIGUiR6qVQJ.png

(406) 541-3474
    KVUi1wUrbfb.png

[email protected]

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I was going to have to get this tank going ordering online. Any suggestions on where to buy live sand, and rock over the internet? Also, good aquarium starter kits? 10 to 15 gallon. I've got no equipment. Starting from scratch. Again.

ohhh, I have some answers for this one!

I’m in a rural area and the only pet store that I have within 2 hours is PetSmart.

I ordered my sand, salt, rock and light from bulk reef supply. Shipping was quick and prices were fair.

I have the innovative marine fusion 15. It’s a great nano tank and a fantastic price point. I absolutely love this tank.

If you go with a small tank, I would do dry rock and sand and get a small amount of live rock from either a local reefer or store to help seed the tank.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Coeur d’Alene, ID. Lonely up here. I’m probably the only reefer with acros until Washington. My local Petco occasionally gets corals. Online is probably best. Shipping up here is pretty bad. At least it is for me.
Hey now, i have an acro… haha. Up in the troy yaak area.

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from another isolated fish fan.
6.5 hrs to the nearest real store (local chain big box diseased fish doesn’t count).

It sounds like you have some options within a couple hours. Have you thought of calling one of them to work on a shopping list and purchase order. Then pick it all up at once. That’s what I did.

I’m starting to gather resources and actually headed on the 6.5 hour trek this week to get as much ordered “locally” as possible

As you can already tell the people on this forum are very helpful and already have suggestions to get you in a new tank and critters.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back