Starting a new tank

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new biocube 32 in a couple months. I had a 20 gallon in the past but did not do enough research. I would just see something in the LFS, buy it, and put it in my tank. Obviously, this is not the way to approach it. Over the last few months, I have done a bunch of research and have come up with a plan for my new tank. Below is my step by step plans. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Rock -- I've been making my own rock for the past month. I plan on making some more over the next few weeks with the hopes of having everything ready by end of July/beginning of August. I know this rock will have to be added to a piece of live rock during the beginning stages of tank setup

Additional items I will be purchasing
BRS 4-stage RODI System
Auto Aqua AWC/ATO combo
Intank media baskets for both refugium and additional media basket for filter floss/chemical filtration
Should I get the smallest ecotech marine powerhead? I'm debating that.
Algae Barn Refugium Starter Package -- I want a mandarin and I plan on having my tank cycled and a refugium created for a little while before I put any fish in
Heater -- I've been debating whether I need to get a heater or not. I live in South Florida and my house is very rarely below 78 degrees. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Now, for the livestock
Step 1 -- Clean up crew -- any suggestions would be great
Step 2 -- I want to add a number of rock flower anemones
Step 3 -- add a mandarin -- I know it might be early but I won't add this guy until i have an established refugium with plenty of pods
Step 4 -- some sort of schooling fish -- maybe some green chromis or cardinalfish? I was thinking 5 but that will probably be too many so I think 3 would work

After that, I would want to add a clown and possibly a goby/pistol shrimp pair.

As far as corals go, I want to add GSP to the back wall but not the rock. Also, I think I want to start a zoa garden and maybe some acans.

I tried to do as much research as possible and I think this setup would work. Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! It sounds like you have a good plan that you can perfect over the next few months!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back