Starting a reef setup for the 1st time, never had a fish tank before.

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this whole thing fish tank thing. I have never had a fish tank before let alone a marine set up.
I have a 5ft tank, i think its a 1530 x 610 x 600.. How many gallon is that for starters because when i googled it, it seems totally outrageous?

So I have done a tiny bit of research and am wanting to have a sump as part of my tank set up. I have read that Red Sea 450 or 525XL may be the way to go, I have not looked into either of them individually yet, I wanted to know others personal preferences and if they have had any experiences with using these in the setups?

Please let me know if there is already a thread explaining exactly what I am asking and I will happily read if it can explain everything to me.
Thank you very much for your responses in advance.

Samantha :)

OP
OP
M

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this whole thing fish tank thing. I have never had a fish tank before let alone a marine set up.
I have a 5ft tank, i think its a 1530 x 610 x 600.. How many gallon is that for starters because when i googled it, it seems totally outrageous?

So I have done a tiny bit of research and am wanting to have a sump as part of my tank set up. I have read that Red Sea 450 or 525XL may be the way to go, I have not looked into either of them individually yet, I wanted to know others personal preferences and if they have had any experiences with using these in the setups?

Please let me know if there is already a thread explaining exactly what I am asking and I will happily read if it can explain everything to me.
Thank you very much for your responses in advance.

Samantha :)
Hi again Or possibly the Aqua Reef 400?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Measure the height and width with your 5 foot tank and google it will give you the gallon total for tank.
I don’t have one but Red Sea xl is the actual aquarium and sump setup. You can buy sumps online . The bigger the better is best for sumps that will fit under your display tank. You will have several options on sump designs . I am sure some of the others in here will chime in.

OP
OP
M

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Adam. i measured it and it said like 149 gallons or something, i just thought that sounded insane, or does that sound about right for a 5ft tank? haha.. oh okay then, thank you for that, I also already have a cabinet for the tank so will just need something that will fit under neath, ( I will upload a photo of the cabinet tomorrow) yeah i have done a tiny bit of research and noticed that bigger the better, but also that there are so many to choose from and they basically all do the same thing but there is a few that do more then others. such a protein skimming and refuging or something. I have no idea about anything. i just want to know peoples preferences for sump, filtration, lighting, and what works with what. and how much i am looking at spending just to get set up.....

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome
Sound good. Nice size tank to start out with! One thing I have learned about this hobby is to go slow and be patient . If you don’t you are set up for fail. Lol! I know from experience!
Everyone on this site is very helpful and I’m sure you will get a ton of info to help you not make the mistakes we have made at first!
Yes, the sump is a very important choice. You will have to decide if you want to run a refugium which I would recommend and an area in sump to have room for skimmer and other equipment
That was half the fun picking out stuff for my tank!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the community. There are many choices for you ........... rectangular, cube, tall , etc.
A lot will depend upon your budget, space available and desired plumbing. Most reef tanks are pre-plumbed and meet many filter configurations.

OP
OP
M

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that!! Haha yes, thats what it seems like. Is a sump actually needed or is it just recommended for a better set up? I was just looking at this sump. What are your thoughts? I did just want something basic as I am very green learning all this stuff but i guess would be best to get better equipment rather then try and take short cuts and get cheap stuff and then probably spend more money in the end replacing anyway....

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the posts I have coped for you below if you have not already. Utilize the Search feature at the top right of the forum page, ask questions, check out the BRS videos if you have not already, stay patient, and enjoy. Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
M

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community. There are many choices for you ........... rectangular, cube, tall , etc.
A lot will depend upon your budget, space available and desired plumbing. Most reef tanks are pre-plumbed and meet many filter configurations.
Well budget, I dont know any price ranges or what would be expected for a decent first time set up.... so i really have no idea, i said in an earlier post that I will post a photo of my cabinet tomorrow and then maybe I could get some help with preferences as to what will fit under neath the tank.... thank you for your help and advice though :)

OP
OP
M

MrKLJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the posts I have coped for you below if you have not already. Utilize the Search feature at the top right of the forum page, ask questions, check out the BRS videos if you have not already, stay patient, and enjoy. Welcome to R2R!!!

Thank you for that, I will have a read of them and hopefully get my head around and have a bit more of an idea what im doing and whats going to work :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Roger that!! Haha yes, thats what it seems like. Is a sump actually needed or is it just recommended for a better set up? I was just looking at this sump. What are your thoughts? I did just want something basic as I am very green learning all this stuff but i guess would be best to get better equipment rather then try and take short cuts and get cheap stuff and then probably spend more money in the end replacing anyway....
Triton sumps are beauties . Also Bashea, synergy reef and skimz

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back