Starting a refugium…a few questions

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add a refugium to my existing setup, the aim being to reduce high nitrates which I can’t get down to a more suitable level. My setup is a 125L DT with the evolution aqua pro sump (medium size). I’m planning on it being bare bottom, but putting some media in it, I have some Marine Pure Spheres or I’ve read about people using bags of Seachem Matrix. How much (ideally) would I need and does one have any advantage over another?

The chaeto seems straight forward (when I can find some in stock in the UK) then there are copepods. Are these an essential?

In terms of lighting, I’d seen the Kessil H80 Tuna Flora. Does anyone have an opinions on this or alternative suggestions?

Lastly, am I missing or have I forgotten anything?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the biomedia, a bag should be fine. Either media is fine but I prefer matrix as it is durable.

Copepods are not essential but are a great clean up crew. Apocyclops and tisbe are my favorites.

The h80 works, especially on that size. There is also the neptune grow (I don't particularly like the spectrum but then again I am picky), h160, AI prime 16hd (I like this over the fuge edition), Nicrew 50w (this should work), etc. I don't recommend crappy firehazard lights that will shock you if you bump into them with water on you but lots of people use them. Lights are tuneable and you can always add another down the road. That is why refugiums are fantastic.

I think the h80 fits nicely as it is very compact.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back