Starting a SW reef tank.

Biocube32er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just thought I add to this forum. Let me know what you guys think.

So I had bought a BioCube 32. Set it up 4 days ago

Coralife protein skimmer

Coralife UV sterilizer

Aqueon Pro heater 200w

2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Hydor Smart Wave Controller

Using a Cheato refugium

I'm using Seachem Matrix Bio Media, and Seachem Phosgaurd in the filters

My return pump is a Coralife pump, I think its 265 GPH which is 8x turn over rate for the tank.

I also got 10lbs Live rock, and 10lbs dry rock, and 30 lbs Live sand

So far my perimeters are

Salinity 1.026

Dkh 6.9

Cal 440

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0.25-0.50

Nitrite and Nitrates 0.00.

zoalander1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Congrats on the new tank!! Your going to love it. Learn everything you can and tank your time.

Post a pic if you can. Im interested to see how your running that fuge. Also you might want to research that UV sterilizer and see if it will fit your needs. Very few reefers run them. Personally, I don't think they work the way you would expect and seem more of a gimmick. You might find it beneficial to to return it and also that skimmer. You could use the added funds to get an upgrade in the skimmer department. My very fist skimmer was a coralife and they work ok but need constant tweaking and it became a huge pain. I eventually upgraded but wish I would have known what to get right away and save the 120 bucks. Aquamaxx makes a really nice hang on skimmer. Easy to use and adjust. Smart move on using some dry rock and a refugium.

OP
OP
Biocube32er

Biocube32er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Congrats on the new tank!! Your going to love it. Learn everything you can and tank your time.

Post a pic if you can. Im interested to see how your running that fuge. Also you might want to research that UV sterilizer and see if it will fit your needs. Very few reefers run them. Personally, I don't think they work the way you would expect and seem more of a gimmick. You might find it beneficial to to return it and also that skimmer. You could use the added funds to get an upgrade in the skimmer department. My very fist skimmer was a coralife and they work ok but need constant tweaking and it became a huge pain. I eventually upgraded but wish I would have known what to get right away and save the 120 bucks. Aquamaxx makes a really nice hang on skimmer. Easy to use and adjust. Smart move on using some dry rock and a refugium.
Do I have to do any sort of modification with the tank in order to get that skimmer to fit in the Biocube? Because the collection cup keeps filling on the coralife one, and the bubbles aren't even close to the top of that tube? I think it's condensation forming on the cup lid and dripping into the collection cup and filling it that way.

zoalander1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to do any sort of modification with the tank in order to get that skimmer to fit in the Biocube? Because the collection cup keeps filling on the coralife one, and the bubbles aren't even close to the top of that tube? I think it's condensation forming on the cup lid and dripping into the collection cup and filling it that way.

no mods for the aquamaxx if thats whats your asking. Yea, the coralife is a pain. to honestly be blunt, its crap.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start. Yea like stated above you might want to get a better skimmer. Not only did it overflow all the time but the wood block turns to mush and will really gunk up your water. I went with the aquaticlife 115, it was ok, still not amazing compared to a real in-sump skimmer. I ended up not using the UV after a month in my biocube. I didn’t have a need for it and it’s so under powered it isn’t really capable of doing much. Just let your tank mature. Maybe don’t run the phosguard just yet, you want some nutrients in there. For water changes and top off make sure your using RODI water. Let me know if you have any other questions :) . bc 32 was my first reef, great learning tank!

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome welcome. Happy Reefing I do remember many years ago that they were more difficult to dial in it can be done though I used one for quite some time then switched You definitely don’t want to have to tweak them all the time it will get frustrating. Course you may have better luck then me. If you decide to keep do some internet research there are all sorts of DYI out there
+1 on HOB skimmer that might work better.

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second previous statement do not buy a coral life protein skimmer (Return it if you can for credit). I owned one years ago and it flooded my room 4 times. Aquamax HOB 1.5 or Reef Octopus HOB are both great and you will be glad you spent the extra money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biocube32er

Biocube32er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a picture of the fuge and main. I'm using a Megnafuge LED, I got the idea from a Youtube video. I know before I said I have 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425, and a Hydor Smart Wave Controller running, I actually have them on order right now thru Amazon hoping they be here tomorrow or next Monday.

20190718_132212.jpg 20190718_133418.jpg

Last edited:

zoalander1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the fuge and main. I'm using a Megnafuge LED, I got the idea from a Youtube video. I know before I said I have 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425, and a Hydor Smart Wave Controller running, I actually have them on order right now thru Amazon hoping they be here tomorrow or next Monday.

20190718_132212.jpg 20190718_133418.jpg

Nice!

OP
OP
Biocube32er

Biocube32er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got those Hydor 425s with the wave controller in today. I have it set for 1 min apart, but that'll change I'm sure when I put coral in eventually. I also noticed I'm starting to get some diatoms going on. I didn't think it would start so soon. I don't know how well you can see them on the picture but i'll post anyways.

20190719_154239.jpg 20190719_154151.jpg 20190719_154206.jpg

OP
OP
Biocube32er

Biocube32er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided I'm going to go with the Tunze Skimmer 9001 and a InTank media basket. I can still run my fuge within the media basket and the new skimmer will be in compartment 2. The reason I went with the Tunze is because I can still have it in the back and out of site. Similar to the crappy Coralife skimmer.

zoalander1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided I'm going to go with the Tunze Skimmer 9001 and a InTank media basket. I can still run my fuge within the media basket and the new skimmer will be in compartment 2. The reason I went with the Tunze is because I can still have it in the back and out of site. Similar to the crappy Coralife skimmer.

Great choice

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back