Starting copepods - dos and don’ts

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m starting a new tanks and opting for a refugium over a skimmer. A goal is to eventually have a mandarin. So I know I need to start growing copepods. What is the best way to add copepods and help them thrive?

Naive question, I assume they migrate to the main tank through the sump return pump? And these copepod “hotels” are just gimmick?

Thank you.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I’m starting a new tanks and opting for a refugium over a skimmer. A goal is to eventually have a mandarin. So I know I need to start growing copepods. What is the best way to add copepods and help them thrive?

Naive question, I assume they migrate to the main tank through the sump return pump? And these copepod “hotels” are just gimmick?

Thank you.

@jgaepi, I would recommend checking out one of our ultimate refugium starter packs. Everything you need to get the refugium established and getting your pod count growing! You can check out the one month update from a customer that did a video here:

With regards the the copepod "hotels", we have never used them, I could see them being useful for amphipods, but I'm not sure how well they work for copepods.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rubble zone and little pieces of tubing in the ref will help them. They really don't need any light, but it won't kill them either. They like a low flow areas also. Glass scrubbings will let loose algae for them to eat, dose photo also to keep the tiny guys fed. They will go right through the pump and seed the tank. When they get bigger they will carry around little piece of food or pellets, I enjoy watching them.

I personally put a lot of rubble zone into the 1st chamber of my sump and pods took to it like no other. be prepared to add 3-4 kits over 2-3 months until they get established. Took me 4 tries to get my population established.

Pod hotels do work, but seem to be a more in tank solution to keep them from getting eaten. All they are is corrugated plastic 4mm sheets, same you see in yards. Can get a whole sheet of it off amazon for the price they charge for 1 hotel. Just cut them and glue or rubber band them together.

10 24" x 18" sheets cost around $24.99. Breaks down to 23 cents per hotel minus the housing.

Can get them off amazon or any sign shop, probably $5-10 for a blank piece locally.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rubble zone and little pieces of tubing in the ref will help them. They really don't need any light, but it won't kill them either. They like a low flow areas also. Glass scrubbings will let loose algae for them to eat, dose photo also to keep the tiny guys fed. They will go right through the pump and seed the tank. When they get bigger they will carry around little piece of food or pellets, I enjoy watching them.

I personally put a lot of rubble zone into the 1st chamber of my sump and pods took to it like no other. be prepared to add 3-4 kits over 2-3 months until they get established. Took me 4 tries to get my population established.

Pod hotels do work, but seem to be a more in tank solution to keep them from getting eaten. All they are is corrugated plastic 4mm sheets, same you see in yards. Can get a whole sheet of it off amazon for the price they charge for 1 hotel. Just cut them and glue or rubber band them together.

10 24" x 18" sheets cost around $24.99. Breaks down to 23 cents per hotel minus the housing.

Can get them off amazon or any sign shop, probably $5-10 for a blank piece locally.
What brand copepods did you use?
My plan is to have miracle mud (used many years ago too) and rock rubble and chaeto.
Thank you.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get this mix. I buy it once a year to boost my population.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jgaepi, I would recommend checking out one of our ultimate refugium starter packs. Everything you need to get the refugium established and getting your pod count growing! You can check out the one month update from a customer that did a video here:

With regards the the copepod "hotels", we have never used them, I could see them being useful for amphipods, but I'm not sure how well they work for copepods.

Send me a private message so I can chat further about this. My tank is two weeks out. But I might discard the Dr Tim’s tank start and go with your complete system. Thanks.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Send me a private message so I can chat further about this. My tank is two weeks out. But I might discard the Dr Tim’s tank start and go with your complete system. Thanks.

PMed

MikeandDee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to start a pod population? I would like to get a good population going in a four month old tank.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bought pods always just get a nice chunk of cheato from a local reefer and they roll in with it

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have a container with an air pump. I add phytoplankton and a peice of filter floss to the container. I add the whole container to my sump and change the water in the container every week. I keep the same filter floss and add it to the new water and the added phytoplankton. The filter floss has enough copepods to get the new weeks culture started. I did it on accident and just kept it going after it worked several times.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to start a pod population? I would like to get a good population going in a four month old tank.
Buy a bottle of mixed pods. Put them in your tank at night without filter floss or filter socks. Make sure to tell your fish not to eat them. Paste a note on the tank to remind them. If you have film algae or other algae for them to hide and play in all the better.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also consider the tank/sump size.
There has to be enough population density at the start for pods to find each other and reproduce.
For example, one bottle of pods might be enough to get a 20gal AIO system to churn out massive pods.
But a single bottle dumped into a 90gal reef may just disappear with no pod production seen.

Back