Starting Corals, what’s this?

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting some corals to see how it goes. I picked up a hammer, candy cane and I think a goniopora? Anyone know for sure? Currently the hammer and the candy cane are mid level and have soft flow. The mystery one is at the bottom so it would get lower flow. Is this correct? I’m only using the stock biocube lights.

All my parameters are good except the alkalinity is just under and Seachem Alk doesn’t seem to raise it. Anyone have good results with something else to bump up Alk?

Thanks, Paul

7E73703F-DA22-483D-96BB-C86A88724817.jpeg 4C7E753A-E7AB-4B26-A735-4AF64FE935A3.jpeg 2E91E895-212F-484A-89E3-7D7FA8AAAA6D.jpeg

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, candycane and looks like some kind of clove polyp. Maybe a firework clove, I see a hint of color under those white lights but hard to tell.
Do the tendrils pulse at all?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this last night under the blues.
Oh yeah, looks like a nice little colony of firework polyps. I just got some of those myself. Quick growers but so pretty.

Make sure wherever you put them is where you want them to be, because they stretch out. They're not bad about spreading everywhere like pulsing Xenias, but I'm going to keep mine on an island so I can control where they grow.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are on an island currently. When I get an Anenome I may need to move it pending where he decides he wants to be. Was thinking to get a jawfish but not sure if the Anenome would eat him since he’s a sand dweller.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have personal experience with Rockflower anemones, but anemones in general will live wherever their contrary hearts desire, so don't be surprised if it goes on walkabout when you get to that point. :upside-down-face:

Good luck!

Back