Starting ich treatment

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed ich in my DT, so i set up my qt tank again and placed new filters in my sump for a month. While i wait for that month to be up im gonna do the ich management method. And im gonna medicate with ick shield powder. I also have metroplex, kanaplex and prazipro on hand. Im not 100% on mediacting after the ick shield.

Then Im gonna do the full 76 days im confused once im done with the ick treatment do i continue using the ick shield for the full 76 days?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wait the month for the sponges in the sump... which will also potentially have ich encyst into them?

Just go straight to the quarantine tank with the fish. Soak your sponge in a bottled bacteria for a few hours and the sponge will be seeded. Then add some nitrifying bacteria every day to your QT to help build the bacterial population. Just monitor your ammonia daily to make sure the bacteria are working! I do it all the time when quarantining new fish. It'll save you a month in your current process to start tackling this ich issue!

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with the above, no reason to wait when a trip to petco gets you a bottle of biospira and you’re off to the races.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could all my lfs and pet stores r closed due to covid 19 bs

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told amazon stopped shipping, when i went to check out said it will be end of april

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed ich in my DT, so i set up my qt tank again and placed new filters in my sump for a month. While i wait for that month to be up im gonna do the ich management method. And im gonna medicate with ick shield powder. I also have metroplex, kanaplex and prazipro on hand. Im not 100% on mediacting after the ick shield.

Then Im gonna do the full 76 days im confused once im done with the ick treatment do i continue using the ick shield for the full 76 days?
You’ll need to treat the QT for 21 days with the ick shield. After 21 days you can move the fish to a new clean QT to observe for the remainder of the fallow period.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you can’t use ick shield with anthias and blue hippo tangs. Have to be careful with several species of wrasses as well.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be treating a clown, linear blenny and blue dot puffer

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need to treat the QT for 21 days with the ick shield. After 21 days you can move the fish to a new clean QT to observe for the remainder of the fallow period.
I only have one qt tank and no room for another one.

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one qt tank and no room for another one.
Problem is that the fish will be clean after the 21 days of treatment but cysts could remain in the tank. They can hatch after you clear the chloroquine out of the water reinfecting the fish.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is that the fish will be clean after the 21 days of treatment but cysts could remain in the tank. They can hatch after you clear the chloroquine out of the water reinfecting the fish.
Thats where i was confused, so i would need to set up a another tank to be 100% effective?

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats where i was confused, so i would need to set up a another tank to be 100% effective?
Correct. That’s why you leave your display tank fallow for 76 days. In that time period all cysts will have hatched and with no fish to feed on the parasite will die. The chloroquine or copper does not kill the cyst stage of the life cycle but will kill the free swimmers when they are released from the cyst.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. That’s why you leave your display tank fallow for 76 days. In that time period all cysts will have hatched and with no fish to feed on the parasite will die. The chloroquine or copper does not kill the cyst stage of the life cycle but will kill the free swimmers when they are released from the cyst.
Okk i will get another tank and set it up for a hospital tank and meanwhile just get the fish in qt and get meds in quickly

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend Polyp Labs Reef Medic!! I had an ich outbreak, (have chromis, Yellow tang, Hippo tang , Banggai and clowns), and didn't want to tear down tank to catch all of them. Dosed for 15 days and Ich was gone!

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend Polyp Labs Reef Medic!! I had an ich outbreak, (have chromis, Yellow tang, Hippo tang , Banggai and clowns), and didn't want to tear down tank to catch all of them. Dosed for 15 days and Ich was gone!
Many mixed reviews on reef medic. May help manage ich but will not eradicate the parasite. If there was truly a scientifically proven reef safe treatment that worked everyone would be using it.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shufflepig i am getting a 10 gallon, that is all i can afford in this time of covid 19... lol do you think that will be big enough for those 3 fish? With a hob filter rated for a 10g?

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shufflepig i am getting a 10 gallon, that is all i can afford in this time of covid 19... lol do you think that will be big enough for those 3 fish? With a hob filter rated for a 10g?
Yes. Once you move them to the 10 gallon, empty and clean your other qt with vinegar and rinse well. Then you can set it up again and move the fish back in for remainder of the 76 days. Always nice to have that extra tank for the future if needed.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back