Starting lights for 100x40cm Aquarium - Advice Wanted

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set-up a marine tank and eventually have some LPS corals like Hammers/Xenias

Currently the tank has its old T8 Tropical lights, which I highly doubt will do much for anything but Algae in a reef.

So I'm curious to know if there is a T8 tube bulb thing that'll work for my aquarium to grow corals?

The alternative I was looking at was something like this:

Budget is extremely limited here and length of tank probably means I'm going to need 2 of any LED light to properly cover the tank area I am assuming.
Would be very nice if there was a viable T8 build I could plug and play into my old Hood without issues. Thanks in advance.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set-up a marine tank and eventually have some LPS corals like Hammers/Xenias

Currently the tank has its old T8 Tropical lights, which I highly doubt will do much for anything but Algae in a reef.

So I'm curious to know if there is a T8 tube bulb thing that'll work for my aquarium to grow corals?

The alternative I was looking at was something like this:

Budget is extremely limited here and length of tank probably means I'm going to need 2 of any LED light to properly cover the tank area I am assuming.
Would be very nice if there was a viable T8 build I could plug and play into my old Hood without issues. Thanks in advance.

What is your price range I am also in your position of a tight wallet lol you can’t buy a cheap light though that is the problem I would recommend for a budget also if you can kessil lighting is also a great brand and you get what you pay for

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably need 2 of those Viparspectras to fully light my tank, I could probably just afford 1 of them, and that doest solve the problem of not being able to mount it to the tank.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would this be a suitable light for corals up to beginner-ish LPS?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a couple softies at the top of that I would save until you can buy what you need, what size tank do you have? Or you could do what I’m doing I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08J...25050&widget=sd_onsite_mobileweb&spPl=1&psc=1. This is sustainable for a good range of coral i bought this then about a month or two later when I had the money I bought a kessle A160 I think it is I’m not fully sure.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably need 2 of those Viparspectras to fully light my tank, I could probably just afford 1 of them, and that doest solve the problem of not being able to mount it to the tank.
And trust me I know your on a budget but you can cut back on other things but lighting is not one of them your looking at about 200 to 400 dollar lights

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back