Starting my 13.5 fluval evo tank build

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, it’s been a few years since I moved and had to sell off my old tanks. Due to limited room I’ve decided to do a nano tank from fluval. Mainly I like the shape of the tank and the price. So far I’ve got myself a 75w neotherm from cobalt, an in tank media basket for chamber two which came with the plug for the false wall and a jaebo OW 10. Since I’m planning to run a bare bottom tank so I don’t need to deal with sand cleaning and want to be able o run the jaebo without worry of kicking sand up, I’ve decided to use plastic egg crate as my base instead of just sitting rock on bare glass bottom. Not sure if anyone else is doing his? But if anyone can point out any hazard to this please let me know I’ll try to keep posts to a minimum along with pictures of my journey.
Cheers!
0989ACB3-71B2-4FAA-9FB9-41F135A9FB0E.jpeg

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a BB in my 40 gallon. One of the benefits was all the detritus ended up collecting in the same spots, so it was easy to get out. I’m not sure how easy it will be to clean With the egg crate. It’s a great idea If it works. I ended up scratching the bottom of my tank. Maybe reef safe putty underneath bottom pieces?

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking a gravel vac should be able to suck up anything that collects in between the squares. Plus a power head pointed downward maybe will help it from collecting? I dunno just an idea

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once you start putting rock, fish and coral in the tank, the egg crate will be an eye sore. Just my opinion but taking all your rock out later on to remove the crate, PIA.

If you’re concerned about the glass and rock, put a piece of black ABS plastic. Brs sells it and you can cut to size.

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s true. Another great idea. I kind of hoped over time my corals etc will grow over it mostly. Plus it’s more reflective than nothing or black. And you’re rite I don’t want to have to remove it later on. I’m not too worried about it looking super natural or anything... just want practical. Seems like adding frags would be easier this way too

Shackleton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the aesthetics. Ocean plastics are a huge environmental problem. Personally, I wouldn’t want to be reminded of this every time I looked at my reef tank.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the aesthetics. Ocean plastics are a huge environmental problem. Personally, I wouldn’t want to be reminded of this every time I looked at my reef tank.
This tiny ocean in your living room is controlled by you. What goes in and out is on you. Make the choices that make you happy while at the same time being safe for the life you are putting in there.

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, that’s not something that will bother me

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid choice.
Personally, I wasn't diggin' the eggcrate bottom, and I think there may have been some regrets when it came to cleaning time.
Great start....and the adventure begins!

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid choice.
Personally, I wasn't diggin' the eggcrate bottom, and I think there may have been some regrets when it came to cleaning time.
Great start....and the adventure begins!
Thanks! Tank has been running for 9 days now. I have a bag of ehiem media balls I’m using and some chemi pure elite, along with some filter floss and foam. The water is the nutri sea water, and the salinity seems high ‍♂️
I fed the tank some pellets a few days ago, but it’s been a while since I’ve donw this stuff lol I’m not sure if I’m doing his rite

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
todays test after 10 days running. No water changes and tank was fed pellets 7 days ago
6FE15917-F2C7-4F39-850D-25A80FC7A4C9.jpeg

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have what looks like diatoms growing on the rock which is a good sign if that’s what it is I believe
0E20A2A1-83DD-456B-8343-2D86FF44BEFF.jpeg

Back