Starting my first tank looking for advice

billy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I am starting my first tank (70gallon). I am currently cycling the tank (3 weeks in).

Can you share any advice for next steps after it is done and any recommendations on number and type of fish for someone new to the hobby.

can I get some clean up crew and a couple fish or do I need to get just the clean up crew first.

really excited to get going with fish but trying to be patient.

I eventually want to get corals but it sounds like that needs to be a lot later.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi and Welcome! How exciting. I would say start next with a CUC and maybe a couple of fish.
1671294217501.png

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second to start with a clean up crew.
Reefcleaners.org is a great place to buy an all in one kit, or if you want take a look at their kits and buy local.
As far as fish go, depending on how many you want to get or types, look at the least territorial out of the ones you want, and maybe start with that one.
You can get both at once, but if something goes catastrophic... you're out both CUC and fish...

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with cuc timing. Make sure they have something to eat when you add them. You can look up the type and amount for your size tank, but if you add all to a new tank with minimal algae you’ll end up with a large die off. Add slowly and only the amount needed at that time. As the needs grow so will the number of cuc until you hit the suggested number for your size tank. Good luck.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back