OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the thread fins? How well do they handle the high flow of an sps tank?
I really enjoy the threadfins as I feel they are the best at "schooling" in small tanks. Their beauty only comes out when you have multiple. If you can get healthy ones, they will be a hardy edition to your reef tank. I live in Los Angeles so I went to BlueZoo and picked mine up. I dont think they ship well at all. But once acclimated they are voracious and have large jaws that can eat large chunks of food almost acting snake like with food hanging out of their mouths like nothing is going on. At night it seems they pair up and do a little dance. Im convinced a couple of them have eggs. As far as the high flow, they do fine. Sometimes they all face the flow in a larger loose group other times they will get really close like a bait ball and swim in circles. The chromis and threadfin sometimes swim in one large group together too. I have 15 with no losses since i bought them. Currently mine are suffering ich spots, but they dont seem bothered at all.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Yoshinaga and Dickerson (1994) observed, in laboratory studies, that theronts were released only between the hours of 2:00 am and 9:00 am, even in total darkness; some suggest this strategy increases the chance for theronts to find a host, as many fish may be resting or closer to substrate during this time period."

... I will be turning up the ozone and adding even more flow during the night. Die Mofos!

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spending my sunday watching the tank. Always learning finding new things. Those little white sacs have a hard surface and can be scraped off with my nail. Under 60x scope it looks like a sac full of eggs. Could these be the tomont stage of ich? ... die ****. ;)

The curious part of this mystery is that these sacs were found on the inside and outside of the small cube walls where i obviously have sand... My guess it is probably snails, but sent to heaven regardless.
1653848169840.jpeg

1653848215220.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich is definitely under control right now. Not showing new white spots, but do have some scars. Since blasting ozone i have pushed my ORP past 470 and wont be going higher.
1654041085336.png

1654041107457.png

1654041129923.png

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems all the anecdotal remedies collectively has put the ich in remission. I was ready to add a UV, but gonna hold off for now. So ozone, high flow, feeding selcon and garlic soaked pellets has helped me. I also removed the small dsb. Im definitely not saying I beat it. I won’t be adding any fish for awhile to be sure.

The regal now picks at my sps. I don’t think it is enough to actually kill anything, but definitely polyp extension is compromised. She is fat, healthy and growing. Looks to be a yellow belly. The chromis’ also pick at the sps polyps and are getting to be annoying. They fight among themselves all day. But on the bright side one of the cleaner shrimp is holding eggs.
kh 9
NO3 10
PO4 .25
CA 500

1654700044579.jpeg

1654700067909.jpeg

1654700090066.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
PO4 .25 or .025?
Im using API so technically it is between 0 and .25 (the next level from 0). I really only test NO3 and PO4 when something bugs me during visual inspection. The polyp extension was poor and I was getting some STN on a couple frags. I believe i have been overfeeding these past 2 weeks which may be the reason for some elevated levels, but I dont think that would be reason enough for the STN. I believe the Regal is the main culprit for less polyp extension with an outside chance that my blasting ozone this whole time is also eliminating good bacteria with the ich and bumming the sps. I also think I have my Radions set too high at 90% and have since brought it down to 80%; and my KH has been high this whole time at 10. It has taken about 10 days to bring that level down to 9 naturally through consumption, im targeting 8.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I go for 7dk personally. With me bottoming out nutrients at times, it seems much safer at 7 to keep from burning the tips. 90% and crystal clear ozone water can definitely be a problem. Maybe something to think about in the future is running less light to acclimate to the better penetration? I did this when I hooked up UV...I did a 20% reduction and let it acclimate via Mobius acclimation for 3 weeks. Seems to have worked.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I go for 7dk personally. With me bottoming out nutrients at times, it seems much safer at 7 to keep from burning the tips. 90% and crystal clear ozone water can definitely be a problem. Maybe something to think about in the future is running less light to acclimate to the better penetration? I did this when I hooked up UV...I did a 20% reduction and let it acclimate via Mobius acclimation for 3 weeks. Seems to have worked.
Im reading these days reefers like to keep their KH at sea levels which makes a lot of sense. Im still a relic of the 10+ KH old reefer levels.

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t want to admit it, but I have to make a choice, regal or polyp extension? My poor Pinky the hairless bear :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:He picks at them all having no favorites. :(:expressionless-face::angry-face:
1655067613048.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough choice, I wouldn't want to make it.
Yeah… I thought perhaps lighting, Kh, nitrate high, flow too much; but at the end of the day it’s the regal picking berries happy all day. Odd development with the cardinals. The one on the right has this weird bulb popping from his belly. I have two like this. Both aggressive.
1655069512420.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:astonished-face: So the cardinal mate must have swung around and put that bulb into his mouth! And now is an egg mass! Amazing stuff!
1655071535415.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days in holding box. Just released into general population. The regal has a buddy and doesn’t mind the new fish. He eats frozen brine but not much else.
1655945053097.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of my sps late in the cycle as my lighting turns deep blue, not much polyp extension overall, but otherwise healthy and growing. I have 2 that are in slow stn, but parameters all stable.
Ca 500, Kh 8, No3 10, Po4 .25
1657065994161.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back