Starting New Tank Cycle In Brute Can

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a nano freshwater for years and moved over to salt in the nano about a year ago. Corals are doing well for the most part but it is a harder tank to maintain given the small 9 gallon size.

I’m upgrading to a 32 gallon but the stand seems to be delayed. I was hoping to jump start the cycle process by adding my rock and micro-bacter start solution with the lid on and flow on. Note that when the stand is in I plan to take some of my current live rock to add to the dry rock

Any advice on setting this up and should I give the can an opportunity to breath with the lid off at times? Is ammonia or other additions really needed?

lastly is it ok to add a purple helix during the cure to start seeding the coralline? Assume I need some light for that.

thx

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a nano freshwater for years and moved over to salt in the nano about a year ago. Corals are doing well for the most part but it is a harder tank to maintain given the small 9 gallon size.

I’m upgrading to a 32 gallon but the stand seems to be delayed. I was hoping to jump start the cycle process by adding my rock and micro-bacter start solution with the lid on and flow on. Note that when the stand is in I plan to take some of my current live rock to add to the dry rock

Any advice on setting this up and should I give the can an opportunity to breath with the lid off at times? Is ammonia or other additions really needed?

lastly is it ok to add a purple helix during the cure to start seeding the coralline? Assume I need some light for that.

thx
Welcome!

I'd leave the lid off or partially on, I believe in keeping things well oxygenated. Keep a power head pointed towards the surface. You'd need light for sure with the helix and not sure based on how much rock you have if it would all get the exposure you need. Also no need to start fighting algae while you're cycling. If it were me if wait to add it when the rock was in the tank for good. There's already mixed reviews on whether or not that stuff is truly effective. Throw a heater in there if you have one and keep things between 78-82 degrees. Good luck on your start up!

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to jump start the cycle process by adding my rock and micro-bacter start solution with the lid on and flow on. Note that when the stand is in I plan to take some of my current live rock to add to the dry rock

Hi there! I do think it should work, though you'd probably want a powerhead in there for circulation. And yes, you would need ammonia for the cycling process, like you'd cycle a tank. A heater would help as well, with letting the microbes grow as fast as possible.
I reckon that can be left for later, yeah you'd need light for that.

Upvote 0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

thx
Welcome! No experience with brute cans, but I've heard that you have to let them breathe.

Upvote 0

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done this myself many times. Reefers have been “curing” live rock like this for a LONG time.
My personal process is to fill the brute with saltwater and your rocks. If you are starting with dry rock, I recommend putting a scoop of your sand or a small piece of live rock in there too. That will have enough bacteria to populate everything. Then a pump and heater. Keep the lid partially off to allow gas exchange. I feed a little flake food every couple days. And water change a bit every couple weeks.
The rocks will definitely “cycle” and you can startup a large tank immediately.

welcome!

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back