Starting over - IM 20 NUVO Fusion Pro Build

blksubykid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer on my Fiji Cube 20g. Took a few weeks to dial it in but it’s a workhorse.

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I just started setting up an IM 20 and I’m be dating on whether or not I should add a skimmer.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of work obviously went into this. I’m an IM AIO junkie (I have the 20g and 10g and had the 40g and 120g in the past).

The 10g is our Co Sunburst Tank and the 20g is our African Dwarf Butterfly Fish tank (FW)

Sadly my 120g sprang a leak last weekend so we’re now in the process of ordering something new.

You obviously have your stuff together but I will warn you that on any of the smaller IM Nuvo tanks, which utilize the same overflow, the Achilles heel is the overflow strainer. They clog easily and mess with water levels in the back and can flood easily. It really takes very little to cause a flood -in my case an anemone flattened some tentacles against one and that did it. I had to use optical sensors to shut down the return and ATO if the front water level got too high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I just started setting up an IM 20 and I’m be dating on whether or not I should add a skimmer.

You don’t need a skimmer right away and it also depends on what your tank will be: fish only, mixed reef, etc.
I bought it after good reviews and some finding it hard to find in stock. That may have been a temporary thing at the the time. But when I saw it on sale, I picked it up.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Livestock

With the tank now cycled, I added a couple of folks for the clean up crew as well as 2 fish.
I modified the scape a bit. All live rock.
Found some with a lot of pods already incorporated and added that.

Here are some more pics but CLICK EACH PIC TITLE FOR VIDEO

Updated scape
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.14.29 AM.png

Updated Scape 2
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.09.42 AM.png

Orange spot watchman goby with a pistol shrimp.
Another view
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.14.47 AM.png

Longnose hawkfish
IMG_0121.JPG

I wont add many more fish any time soon (or perhaps not at all).
Time to just let it settle in.

AWC is going to be set up next....

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for the AWC

I spent a bit of time today setting up the AWC.
Using a Neptune DOS for this purpose.
Given the lack of sump in this AIO 20g, then AWC will be in and out of the back chamber.

I will plan to change about 1g or 5% per week. Not super critical right now as 1) the tank is young and just getting settled and the only inhabitants besides bacteria are 2 fish, a pistol shrimp, a tiger conch and a CUC. But the 5% per week is a ballpark goal and will go up and down as I start to populate with corals.

Mixing station in garage. Water lines (including ATO) run beneath it and through the wall and to the DT.
IMG_0169.JPG

Top DOS is for AWC. Bottom is for Alk and Ca...but is dormant right now. I wont need that for a while.
IMG_0166.JPG

Water lines and cables go through PVC pipe that is a conduit through the drywall as the room where the DT is on the opposite side.
IMG_0167.JPG

In the room with the DT, the lines and cords are concealed fairly well before they travel to the stand and DT.
IMG_0174.JPG

On the back of the DT. The clear 1/4" tubing is for fresh RODI water for the ATO. Blue is new salt water mix and black is for old salt water waste. The waste water goes right into the laundry room drain which is in the other room adjacent.
IMG_0173.JPG

Dosing tube bracket holds the lines in place and has more spots for nutrient dosing down the road.
IMG_0172.JPG

Black waste water is submerged whereas blue new salt water mix line is above the water line. I may redo this set up down the road as it is bulkier that I would want but it was the parts I had.

I boiled the 1/4" tubing for a few seconds so I could contour it into these curve and reduce the torque on the bracket.
IMG_0171.JPG

Extra style points for the black 90deg push lock elbows that match the black DT colors better than stark white.
Why bother?....because.

with the ATO done and now the AWC....this is the "no more buckets" strategy.

The next step is really just waiting for biologic stability while monitoring if my set up has any unforeseen issues that cause fluctuations or other issues. with a small tank volume, small adjustments can lead to substantive changes of parameters, as we know.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the biodiversity side....I would not say it is yet diverse. But I do have all the initial signs of progress.
Here is a close up shot (mediocre) of the glass showing pods pretty much everywhere.

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 6.42.53 PM.png

Click on this video as it shows it a bit better.

A good sign as this was during the day and at night, there are even more. The live rock is paying off as it usually does.

Getting there.....

Last edited:

Collector1924

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. You must be a mechanical engineer of some type to think of such unique solutions to your problems.
Thanks for posting such detailed pics and explaining precisely what you are doing.
I have a big mess of wires from all the equipment on my Nuvo 20 and just starting to think about the best way to
handle all these wires and cables.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments.
Mechanical engineer?? No, not quite.
But I do appreciate the clean and “squared away” look of things.
If you wanted any unsolicited advice, I would say, just take it one bite at a time.

If only SPS cared as much about it and appreciated it as I do….

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting a nuvo up also. Has been running just RO thru for a longer leak test because of a chipped corner. My problem is with adding a protein skimmer. The tank is super quiet without the skimmer in place, but when added it makes a waterfall sound. Only way to quiet that is by raising water level in return section to match the height of second chamber. Any ideas?

I tried facing it both ways and making sure power cord is near chamber one.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the waterfall sound coming from? the weirs going into the the initial chambers (right and left side)? or are you saying it is coming from the skimmer itself?

if the former...I had the same thing but resolved it.
On the left side, I have an aftermarket filter floss holder from Intank Aquatics.
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 7.06.53 AM.png
Nothing magical about this floss holder. But I like it as it is low profile, easy to remove. I and I prefer not to have filter socks and much prefer to throw away the floss when done instead of cleaning a sock.

I use bag of poly-fill from the craft store (or amazon). I just throw out the used poly-fill every couple of days. One $10 bag lasts me more than a year.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 7.09.42 AM.png

On the right side, I have the IM media "chamber" and in the top section also have a handful of poly-Fill.

No more waterfall noise for me. completely silent actually (other than pump noise).
Early on, I did adjust water height a bit too but adjusting baffles and volume of water in take and that seemed to reduce water falling sounds too.
hope this helps.

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My noise is coming from the water leaving the skimmer chamber and going into return pump area. Crazy, with this second (skimmer) chamber empty it is completely quiet. Adding the skimmer makes the noise. I assume it makes the water flow faster around the skimmer corners causing turbulence.

Water leaving "C" chamber into pump area.

Screenshot (3).png

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My noise is coming from the water leaving the skimmer chamber and going into return pump area. Crazy, with this second (skimmer) chamber empty it is completely quiet. Adding the skimmer makes the noise. I assume it makes the water flow faster around the skimmer corners causing turbulence.

Water leaving "C" chamber into pump area.

Screenshot (3).png
ok. If I am understanding the issue correctly, I might try adding more water volume in the tank itself to see if that helps. it will shorten the distance between water level in "C" and the pump chamber.

and it is loud when the skimmer is just siting in there and turned off?...meaning it has nothing to do with the function of the skimmer....just the presence of its bulk in the chamber...correct?

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct, it is noisy with the skimmer just sitting in the chamber. On the previous post I included the water levels. I did raise the level to quiet it tank, but it did not fully work.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update and DIY REFUGIUM project.

I wanted to add a refugium to the IM 20 Nuvo Fusion so that I could grow macro algae and reduce some nutrients and generally stabilize things.

At the same time, I wanted to have a sleek, low profile setup.

I bought the inTank Aquatics fuge basket sized for this aquarium.
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.41.25 PM.png

It is designed to go in one of the two '2nd chambers" of the AIO setup. Thanks to inTank Aquatics. I have a few of their items and I find them to work well.

filled with some chaeto.
IMG_0652.JPG

and going into the 2nd chamber.
IMG_0661.JPG

Next was to sort out a light source.

I found the typically available ones to be rather clunky and expensive. Just not what I wanted.
I thought I would create my own as I could be a lot more flexible with the design and placement.

So, I found these LED pucks on Amazon.
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 5.02.10 PM.png
Very cost effective and I like how low profile they are. Also, they can switch from white light to red spectrum if that is desireable. And I figured I might also use them for lighting my cabinet of my stand in the future.
Each puck is rated at 3W of power and as a LED, wont add hardly any heat energy.

These will be fix to the back of the tank and shine into the 2nd chamber of the AIO setup.

I made this simple bracket out of cheap plexiglass from Home Depot.
IMG_0641.JPG

I took the face off the puck as it just unscrews like a jelly jar.
I used the mounting holes in the puck and some simple nylon screws and nuts.

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

I then made a window on the black adhesive sheet that is on the back glass panel of the tank over the 2nd chamber to allow the light to come through. You can obviously see the macro algae on the other side of the glass in the 2nd chamber.
IMG_0647.JPG

To 'fix it' to the tank's back panel, I used strong neodymium magnets that already have adhesive on one side to stick to the glass back panel. Once in place, the other magnets on the outside of the plexiglass are strong enough that it holds this light-wieght set up just fine. More than strong enough. And it is totally adjustable if I want to change it around.

IMG_0654.JPG

You can see the light shining through into the chamber without the fuse basket in place.

IMG_0658.JPG

video link of the light filling the 2nd chamber.
CLICK HERE

and then with the fuge basket in place.
IMG_0657.JPG

And its easy enough to change to red LEDs with the remote control.
IMG_0655.JPG

I also checked the PAR level of the white light at about 1.5 inches (the working distance in this set up) and it was about 150 with white lights. Red lights closer to 100. The light brightness is adjustable with the supplied remote control so I can adjust as needed.

It has been installed for about 30 min and I am already thinking of some ways to modify it for lower profile and less light 'leakage'. But this will be a good start and the modifications will be a variation on this theme. Should help export some nutrients.

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on some livestock progress. They all seem to be progressing well.

Monti.jpg Green zoa.JPG Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 12.07.47 PM.png
Video of the cyphastrea is here.

The echinopora seems to be doing well. Spreading out.

I also added 2 gorgonians: a red finger and yellow finger. See video. Just added some rotifers when taking this videos.
I ordered these from Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy. They came well packed and next day. I thought they did a great job. My first order from them but all positive, including good communication.

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 12.20.38 PM.png Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 12.20.52 PM.png

Close up video of the red finger is here.
Close up video of the yellow finger is here.

More to come...

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing job so far! I just ordered the same tank after being out of the hobby for a couple of years & I really like the way you organize your thread. How did you cut the black acrylic on the back side of your tank for the fuge light? I also love the heater going in that weird horizontal dead spot because when I purchased the tank, I wondered how that area could possibly be utilized since the baffles block it & it is not easy access. It seems like a heater there is the best use of that space

OP
OP
J

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Appreciate it.
to answer your questions...

1) the black "acrylic" on the back is simply a black adhesive tape/film on the tank's back panel glass. Not acrylic, per se. I just used a razor blade (exacto knife) to cut the film and then peeled it off.

2) I agree that those sections are largely dead space. I would have used a smaller/shorter heater if I could have found one I liked. but so far, it has worked fine with no issues.

The only other thing those areas seem to be really good for are hiding small fish that have gone through the wier and made their way back there. I found a lost Yasha shrimp Goby in there after being AWOL for 3 months. It was a real pain to get him out. Had to drain that entire back section to just 1/2 inch of water and then coax him into a glass jar. As an aside, my fish guard screens should be arriving today because I just found another fish that had.....dont get me started.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Appreciate it.
to answer your questions...

1) the black "acrylic" on the back is simply a black adhesive tape/film on the tank's back panel glass. Not acrylic, per se. I just used a razor blade (exacto knife) to cut the film and then peeled it off.

2) I agree that those sections are largely dead space. I would have used a smaller/shorter heater if I could have found one I liked. but so far, it has worked fine with no issues.

The only other thing those areas seem to be really good for are hiding small fish that have gone through the wier and made their way back there. I found a lost Yasha shrimp Goby in there after being AWOL for 3 months. It was a real pain to get him out. Had to drain that entire back section to just 1/2 inch of water and then coax him into a glass jar. As an aside, my fish guard screens should be arriving today because I just found another fish that had.....dont get me started.
Gotcha. It seems like it might be good for bioballs or something but cleaning back there looks like it’d be a pain. Sounds like the weir fish guards is a good investment so I’ll definitely be getting some of those too

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back