Starting over: Nuvo 14 Peninsula Anemone Tank

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I never technically left as I have had livestock and a tank running on autopilot the entire time but for about two or three years now I have been pretty checked out of the hobby. My mental health was in a decline around that time and the tank I had been diligently caring for at the time suffered for it. I took it down last year and have had my tiger pistol shrimp Diego hanging out in a 15 gallon in the meantime. I had also planned on doing a 40gallon tank that never worked out…

I recently moved in July and had my passion reignited and am in a much better headspace now. I set up this AI Nuvo 14 gallon when I moved in and used some of the media from the placeholder tank in this one and plopped Diego in and he has been having a great time the past few months. I have just been waiting for the tank to mature a little more and give a chance for the bacteria from my previous systems to duplicate in this before finally purchasing new livestock. I tested my water have been doing water changes to get the levels at a better place (nitrates were through the roof, though my phosphates were fine). I only had a diatom flare and got some copepods and a tuxedo urchin to clean it up (I prefer a more conservative approach to CUC’s than what a lot of folks tend to recommend though if I need more I will totally get another urchin. They are my favorite CUC members) and everything is looking great!

I don’t have a glass scraper which is why it’s not super clear but that’s coming in the mail soon along with my new clownfish which are arriving on Wednesday.

I also got my hands on a Chicago Sunburst Anemone for only 200$ from Top Shelf Aquatics. It was on sale for 300$ but I had a 100$ gift card which came with my tank. Still buzzing over the deal I managed to score; especially since earlier in the week they had one on sale for 400$ and I had been considering getting that one but someone else bought it before me. It will be arriving December 1st

This tank is going to be anemone only. The Chicago Sunburst will be the only BTA I put in it but I am considering getting some rock flower anemones. I also am going to be putting gsp on the back wall because I’ve always loved they way it looks in other peoples tanks.

Anyways here’s to falling in love again.

AFBD04BD-7609-4067-9989-023256F14CF3.jpeg

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome man. Glad you're back! Good luck with the tank, you got this. Upload pics id love to follow the journey!

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new anemone venture! (I can't keep them alive if my life depended on it!)
Thanks! This will be the first time I try BTA’s though I’ve always wanted to have some so I’m hoping things turn out well. Done lots of research and I’ve been in the hobby for almost 6 years at this point so I think I am ready. Sorry you have struggled with them though
Sounds awesome man. Glad you're back! Good luck with the tank, you got this. Upload pics id love to follow the journey!
Thank you! I will for sure try to keep this thread updated. Hoping I have success with the BTA and can sell splits to my local reef club.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This will be the first time I try BTA’s though I’ve always wanted to have some so I’m hoping things turn out well. Done lots of research and I’ve been in the hobby for almost 6 years at this point so I think I am ready. Sorry you have struggled with them though
I think it's a clownfish thing - they've simply harassed the poor anemones to the point where they retreat under a rock and (I suspect) lose access to crucial lighting for survival.

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I got one fish today
There was a mix up at the place I order my fish from so my second clownfish will be coming next Monday. For now say hi to Huginn. He’s getting comfy in the tank right now but sticking to one corner. I’m gonna keep a close eye on him but I think everything is alright. He was a WYSIWYG purchase but his tankmate (and hopefully mate) isn’t so I hope its markings are as nice as Huginn’s. His tank mate is gonna be an orange storm named Muninn.
AE47F83F-3F42-4B86-9064-FD5FD0561B42.jpeg

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

I checked out a new fish store today. Was a bit disappointed in their selection as well as the upkeep of their tanks but I got this cute RFA
CC26E8C0-9F8A-4151-A933-70E2D6B9DC3E.jpeg

In other news: I got 500$ from BRS. I didn’t even know I had been given the points until today. I had received a package from them and I pulled up the site to check how much was on the gift card they had sent me for Black Friday and I saw 50,000 points on my account. Needless to say I freaked out a little bit. I got an Apex for only 20$ which is crazy to think about. It may be a little overkill for this tank but I will definitely be using this bit of equipment for many years to come in the hobby and on many tanks in the future.

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muninn arrived today.
BF06E55E-F0EF-4182-B65E-94C26F3A77D4.jpeg

I’ve put a towel over the tank because everyone was freaking out when he got introduced to the tank and my room is very sunny so I hoped that making it a little darker in the tank would help calm everyone down. Huginn is being a bully obviously and showing Muninn who’s boss. There is a significant size difference so I am hopeful that they will pair up but I saw Huginn grab onto one of Muninn anal fins and didn’t let got for a few second :’) I forgot how rough clowns get before they pair up.

My previous pair were introduced at the same time and were both juveniles which I think helped a lot. I had hoped to introduce these two at the same time too but with the mix up at the place I got them now Huginn feels like she has a territory to defend -.-
I have an acclimation box I can throw one of them in if it gets too rowdy and rough but I know I gotta trust the process and let them try to work it out themselves. It is just Muninn’s no good very bad day today. I hope he has an easier time tomorrow

OP
OP
Grootzilla

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone arrived today!
74BBB217-1B51-471B-ADEE-DAA5056FAE28.jpeg

Its tentacles were quite long and puffy when I pulled it out of the box. As I acclimated it the tentacles shrunk and thinned out
37DA2063-5529-4AFE-95DD-E196D1F5EDBC.jpeg

It was a lot of fun watching it move around at first. It seems to have found a spot that isn’t ideal for looking from my bed but that’s ok. The most interesting part was that I was able to observe the tentacles bubble up over the course of a few hours.
B93CCF38-B86F-4A3D-A7EC-121038093DD5.jpeg

here it is right now. I’m going to keep an eye on it tonight and hopefully it continue to settle in well. The green star polyps haven’t opened up at all unfortunately but it’s ok. Can’t wait for this nem to grow.

Waterboxcube20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muninn arrived today.
BF06E55E-F0EF-4182-B65E-94C26F3A77D4.jpeg

I’ve put a towel over the tank because everyone was freaking out when he got introduced to the tank and my room is very sunny so I hoped that making it a little darker in the tank would help calm everyone down. Huginn is being a bully obviously and showing Muninn who’s boss. There is a significant size difference so I am hopeful that they will pair up but I saw Huginn grab onto one of Muninn anal fins and didn’t let got for a few second :’) I forgot how rough clowns get before they pair up.

My previous pair were introduced at the same time and were both juveniles which I think helped a lot. I had hoped to introduce these two at the same time too but with the mix up at the place I got them now Huginn feels like she has a territory to defend -.-
I have an acclimation box I can throw one of them in if it gets too rowdy and rough but I know I gotta trust the process and let them try to work it out themselves. It is just Muninn’s no good very bad day today. I hope he has an easier time tomorrow
Beautiful clowns

Back