Starting Refuge in 20 gal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of starting a 215g reef. The display tank has been delayed. The soonest I'll be able to get water into it is likely 3-4 weeks away. :(

Would it be a bad idea to order the refuge kit, start it in my 20 gal QT, and transfer the algae/pod into the DT when it's setup?

ReeferSpot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason not to. I just did something similar when I torn down my 30 gallon tank and transferred the pod filled chaeto to a temp 10 gallon tank. It's been 3 weeks and all I have in it is chaeto , rbta and a few corals. There are so many pods in there now that I believe they ate a small zoanthids colony.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am in the process of starting a 215g reef. The display tank has been delayed. The soonest I'll be able to get water into it is likely 3-4 weeks away. :(

Would it be a bad idea to order the refuge kit, start it in my 20 gal QT, and transfer the algae/pod into the DT when it's setup?

Hey!
Congrats on starting a monster tank! We understand how delays go, as we have been waiting on our new 150 gallon for over a month!

With the QT, is there copper in it? If not, you could do it and get the pod population really blooming in the 20 gallon. I am a bit concerned about the macroalgae not really having good nutrients for 3-4 weeks. If you really want, we can do a 2 part shipment, and delay the second part until the tank is cycled. We may have a cool ammonia source coming out next week, we can include it on your order if you put a comment in your notes.

Cheers,
Sean

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see any reason not to. I just did something similar when I torn down my 30 gallon tank and transferred the pod filled chaeto to a temp 10 gallon tank. It's been 3 weeks and all I have in it is chaeto , rbta and a few corals. There are so many pods in there now that I believe they ate a small zoanthids colony.

Never heard of pods eating zoanthids. Usually its the other way around :p. Glad to hear the tank is blooming with pods

Cheers,
Sean

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back