Starting the Cycle with a Partially Filled Tank.

zladson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up a 45 gallon tank tomorrow. I will be able to get the live rock, and say 10 -20 gallons of salt water. What I want to avoid is hauling all 45 gallons, literally across town, and up a flight of stairs. I am ordering a RO/DI system tomorrow as well. What I would like to know is can I get the tank cycling on 10 - 20 gallons of water and then fill the reset once the RO/DI system comes with out causing harm to the already formed bacteria? I would assume with shipping it would be able a week between the initial start and arrival of the RO/DI.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you can! It will be like a large water change. :)

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason you can't start with that amount while waiting for your RO/DI unit. The important point to remember is that water parameters are the key indicator of a complete cycle, not time spent cycling. Keep an eye on levels every day, or every other, so you can watch for the spike. You can find more details about what to look for here: How to Cycle Your Saltwater Tank

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! You seem organized and detail-oriented, you'll do just fine in this hobby. :bigsmile:

And you're very welcome. Happy tankin'!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back