Starting the cycle

DWH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys This is my fist post, my name is Dave and I hope by joining R2R it will open up new and interesting horizons for me and the missus. Back in the seventies we were both lucky enough to successfully run two marine tanks. In fact the wife became a victim of her own success when her puffer outgrew his tank. It broke her heart when she had to let him go. I say lucky because back in those days we didn't have a lot of sophisticated equipment or much know how. Anyway after 50 years of being fishless we now have more time on our hands and we are thinking about taking up the hobby again. I've been on the net gaining as much information as possible about setting up a reef tank and one article caught my eye when it stated live rock is all that's needed to complete the water cycle. Now I imagine some sort of circulation and lighting is needed but what surprized me was no filtration required . Your thoughts on what lighting is required for soft corals and your method of setting up a reef tank would be appreciated

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with dry rock, ammonium chloride for fish tanks, and bottled bacteria. You do need filtatrion in terms of that bacteria. Other filter things recommended are some sort of filter floss/sock, carbon, a refugium or skimmer or both, and maybe a phosphate remover.

Check out the bulk reef supply 5 minute guides. These should answer most questions

Back