Starting the Triton Method on my frag tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try to make this post short and to the point to start. Here are pictures I just took but it's hard to show but the display is 32"x16"x6" and has maybe 9 gallons and drains right into the refugium that has 14 gallons from there to the sump with the skimmer. The return pump runs 312 gph.
I just switched the drain from the feed off of the return that u can see but not using.
My question is where to start? I have a dosing pump ready to go but only 3 containers to use right away. Had my ICP test and here are the results. My calcium is still high even after the first 15% WC. Right now they want me to dose individual elements that I don't have. My thinking is to use my dosing container that has 3 sections for solution 1,3a and 3b because my cal is high and the when I get my dosing containers right add it. here is the ICP test results.
So what do I do??/

aipliV0KRYG5FyLzewCntg.jpg 1XRsau45Qq61zULA+U1M1w.jpg gbcusV39TPi4jDSQSaEmIQ.jpg KY2DwAOVTfi%mIPiI80bDw.jpg

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you hand dosing previously? Just curious how your Calcium ended up that high? I only have three actual compartments in my container. For the fourth additive I just used the bottle from 3b. Drilled a small hole on the top and added a fitting that allowed a rigid tube to run the bottom of the container on one side and flexible tubing to the doser on the other. Since they are all added in equal or near equal parts, it doesn't matter that you can't see the level of chemicals left in the container

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you hand dosing previously? Just curious how your Calcium ended up that high? I only have three actual compartments in my container. For the fourth additive I just used the bottle from 3b. Drilled a small hole on the top and added a fitting that allowed a rigid tube to run the bottom of the container on one side and flexible tubing to the doser on the other. Since they are all added in equal or near equal parts, it doesn't matter that you can't see the level of chemicals left in the container
I just bought some VOSS water bottles that I plan on using for my dosing containers just need to get the right fittings went to HD and Lowes yesterday and could not find the right ones. Guess I will have to order them do u have where u got them from thx. That's the least of my problems because making things like that is easy but not the rest lol. I'm trying to figure out why the Calcium is high myself. Would it be because of the Tin and Iron that are also high? I had a c-clamp that was holding the light over my fuge contacting the water that I just removed. Other than that I was dosing but stoped and even after a 15% WC Friday no change.
So now I'm not sure which way to go as I don't have the individual elements to add and getting anything right now takes way to long. Should I just start core7 ???
I am going to check my ALK because it must have got lower so I'm open to suggestions because I can't just let it sit and do nothing

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to make up my mind alkalinity went on to 7.5 today it was 7.9 yesterday and 8.2 Friday after the water change are you there have to those alkalinity the old way BRS.
My calcium is still high checked this morning it was 476 so if I start dosing the Triton method can someone give me the average dose to start for a 35 gallon or tell me not to do it and wait and try to talk to somebody tomorrow as far as getting what I need.
And bring my alkalinity back to 8 ppm today

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry to much about calcium being to high, it will level out when your DKH gets stable.

• Dosage = 2ml per 100 liters (26 gallons)
    • Dosing should be done at 5 minutes between each solution in high flow area
    • If dosing of 4ml per 100 liters or more is needed, the amount should be split into multiple smaller doses during the day

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry to much about calcium being to high, it will level out when your DKH gets stable.

• Dosage = 2ml per 100 liters (26 gallons)
    • Dosing should be done at 5 minutes between each solution in high flow area
    • If dosing of 4ml per 100 liters or more is needed, the amount should be split into multiple smaller doses during the day
So u think I should dose solution #1,3a and 3b and skip 2 for today and my total gallons are 35 so start with 2.5 ml

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose all of them as directed, i dont know for a fact that core 2 is the calcium component, i honestly dont think anyone knows except maybe Triton. ive seen all different veriations been said, but again i dont think anyone actually knows. i believe they all have trace elements.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was looking at things I said earlier in my post
Well I have to make up my mind alkalinity went on to 7.5 today it was 7.9 yesterday and 8.2 Friday after the water change are you there have to those alkalinity the old way BRS.
My calcium is still high checked this morning it was 476 so if I start dosing the Triton method can someone give me the average dose to start for a 35 gallon or tell me not to do it and wait and try to talk to somebody tomorrow as far as getting what I need.
And bring my alkalinity back to 8 ppm today
For some reason I was thinking 8 dKH will this make a diff

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine at 7.3 DKH, its settled in at 8.6DKH Stable, so i dont worry to much about it. I only dose 6.3ml a day on my 115gal, but each tanks consumption is different. id start with the recommended dosing and adjust as needed.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 9.36.51 AM.png

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this holding the light over fuge the top was just making contact with the water surface so hopefully the Iron and Tin

pGMUfGGCS5yEMxTSHxPUiQ.jpg

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam Now I have to learn to put that all in my Apex. Do you think this will make up the
strontium deficiency

lack of iodine

lack of bromine

lack of lithium
and a few more

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dilute my solutions as I add to my containers. When full strength I couldn't get alk below 11

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam Now I have to learn to put that all in my Apex. Do you think this will make up the
strontium deficiency

lack of iodine

lack of bromine

lack of lithium
and a few more

Honestly prob not, I dose every Sunday with exception to Lithium. It was a small string of doses and that was it. Be mindfull that you dont have to but the " triton elements" to dose these products there are much cheaper brands that are the same.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I guess this would be the plan I don't think that they knew it was my first test on this Aquarium and haven't set up Triton system yet
I should start dosing today and plan on having to add extra for amounts came back in my ICP test as soon as I am able to. Continue with the water changes over the next 5 weeks and send a test in after that where things stand what do you think?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not dose equal ammounts.
I did at first and my Ca and Mag were always high.
New setup has a water volume of 230G.

So I slowly backed them off.
I have not dosed Mag in over a month. But why do I need to if its stable at 1430.
My Ca runs at 470. Dosing 2ml a day.
And 40ml of alk a day. To maintain 7.5-8
I dont have a bunch of coral or coraline yet in this new tank.
But it was pretty much the same scenario.
I use Tropic Marin Pro.
My problem is that I am have an abundance of part 1 and 2 now, as I have had to take out the 3a and 3b of two of the mix boxes.
I have new old stock Core7 from back in the day when they shipped parts 1&2 in liquid form still.

Back