Starting up a 180 GPD Saltwater Tank - Ideas

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been in water purification for many years and I have always wanted to venture into saltwater. I have been not only helping a local fish store but also taking care of the tank at my workplace recently along with troubleshooting RODI for many years, I feel that now is the time to start a tank at home.

My LFS picked up a gently used 180g and I decided to pounce on it with my statement, go big or go home! I am working on setting up my mixing station (2 large poly reservoirs with bulkheads and pump) with a custom commercial RODI system with auto pure and tap flushes. I will utilize SpectraPure Litermeter 4 with (2) remote pumps to perform the water exchange and a UPLC-ATO to top off. This is about a 15ft height with 200ft length from Garage to Tank location. So in this case I feel that I have my RODI, water exchange and top off set to go no problem. My main questions are recommendations on Skimmer, Return Pump, Lighting, and wave makers.

In all my time Bubble Magus has been a staple in the tanks I have worked with so I am leaning this way, but any other feedback is helpful. I really wanted to budget the wave makers and lighting, but will invest if comparable or can find locally for a good price.

Return Pump - I am just going to invest in an EcoTech, but if any feedback just let me know.

Wave Makers - I am going to go with (2) Sicce for now, but want to get MP60s in the future. If there is any feedback here, this is where my head spins a bit.

Lighting is my only subject I am unsure - I have a 48" ATI lighting with 6 bulbs and was going to go with a T5 combo we use at work, but is this enough lighting or what is budget friendly?

I will have a large range of coral, not so much SPS. Candy Cane, Fragspawn, Favias, Mushrooms mainly. I wish I could say I knew what live stock I want to have, but i am 100% unsure at this time because I haven't had time to review and invest in a personal tank. Any feedback or general info is greatly appreciated! I have watched just about every saltwater video on YouTube in my years troubleshooting RODI and learning about saltwater, but just wondering what this community thinks :)

If you may have any questions regarding RO / RODI and want expert help, I am always happy to provide that! Just keep in touch and let me know how I can help :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of EcoTech for return pumps - Sicce offer much more value for virtually the same price (and a 5-year warranty). I have two SDC pumps and have had zero issues with either. You'll be great with a pair of MP60s (the Sicce wavemakers can carry you over until you upgrade). Lighting is very much personal preference. I like EcoTech Radion G5s, but that's just me.

Bubble Magus makes a pretty good skimmer, so if you're already intimately familiar with them that's probably your best option (I like Nyos myself, and there's another company in Italy that makes an insane skimmer but I'm drawing a blank right at the moment).

OP
OP
PHXHobbies

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of EcoTech for return pumps - Sicce offer much more value for virtually the same price (and a 5-year warranty). I have two SDC pumps and have had zero issues with either. You'll be great with a pair of MP60s (the Sicce wavemakers can carry you over until you upgrade). Lighting is very much personal preference. I like EcoTech Radion G5s, but that's just me.

Bubble Magus makes a pretty good skimmer, so if you're already intimately familiar with them that's probably your best option (I like Nyos myself, and there's another company in Italy that makes an insane skimmer but I'm drawing a blank right at the moment).
Good to hear, I will surely check into the Sicce pumps. Is the SDC 9.0 the one you are talking about?

Lighting is where i am checking the market. I was going to go with a T5 set up but i think that will just get my living room too hot (also located in AZ where its already too hot!)

Nyos is the other brand my LFS mentioned, I will check into that for sure! He had a used one in good condition so I may check into that one.

When it comes to Rock vs. Water, should I aim for 1 pound per gallon? This is where I have seen mixed info and open to info. Along with recommended Sand to start with.

I need to start making a livestock list. The LFS is dropping off the tank here any minute so Im going to start picking at my wish list! lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, I will surely check into the Sicce pumps. Is the SDC 9.0 the one you are talking about?

Lighting is where i am checking the market. I was going to go with a T5 set up but i think that will just get my living room too hot (also located in AZ where its already too hot!)

Nyos is the other brand my LFS mentioned, I will check into that for sure! He had a used one in good condition so I may check into that one.

When it comes to Rock vs. Water, should I aim for 1 pound per gallon? This is where I have seen mixed info and open to info. Along with recommended Sand to start with.

I need to start making a livestock list. The LFS is dropping off the tank here any minute so Im going to start picking at my wish list! lol
Yes, I run a Sicce SDC 9.0 for my main return and a Sicce SDC 6.0 just for the UV. I have separate Nyos reactors with for carbon/GFO and Zeo, so I don't need a manifold on my system.

In my 160-gallon display I went with 120lbs of rock, but I probably should've gone with 140-160lbs for a slickly thicker sand bed. I went with Oolite, which looks great - but is easily blown around (so I generally don't recommend it).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back