Starting with FOWLR and converting to a reef tank further down the line?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how many of you have done this, and how feasible it is to start with a FOWLR tank and then later converted to a reef tank. I am thinking of using this strategy because I want more time to decide the corals I want based on what will be available to me, and I also want to have my tank stabilize for 2-3 months before I decide to add any corals which will mean an added set of parameters to monitor. The equipment I have sourced is for a reef tank, though. My plan is to run it as a FOWLR for the first 2-3 months, and then add some low maintenance softies.

The fish that I want to keep are a pair of Ocellaris clowns, a Marine Betta, basslets, flame hawks, and a dwarf angel or maybe even an easy species of butterfly. My tank will be 105 gallons, 48”x24”x22”.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels and butterflies are the only things you have to worry about in regards to your stock list. Generally, both will nip at corals. I had a vagabond butterfly do really well for a couple months. Then one day it started eating acans and nipping other lps... other than that, sounds like a solid game plan

Back