Startling over-bubble algae infestation

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long reef lobster species tank that doubles as my coral quarantine tank. I don’t know where it came from, but in the past couple months the tank has experienced a really bad bubble algae infestation. This is a good thing because it means my coral quarantine procedure is working (no bubble algae in any of my main display tanks) but a bad thing as I can no longer use it as a coral quarantine. I’d like to start the tank over completely to eliminate the bubble algae (I can put the lobster in a sump temporarily). What is the best way to go about cleaning the tank and equipment to ensure I don’t have to deal with the bubble algae coming back? The tank has a hob filter, powerhead, skimmer, and heater as well as some rock and sand. Thanks

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot water and vinegar works great on tanks. I also like EzeClean (or equivalent) for cleaning all my equipment.
I can do that, should it sterilize everything including the rock? Or should I just get new rock?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do that, should it sterilize everything including the rock? Or should I just get new rock?
You may want to treat the rock and reuse it to jump start your new tank. I’m not the person to detail what’s involved, but I’ve seen a number of threads on R2R detailing the process.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back