Stay away from prazi pro

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone looking into prazi pro, my suggestion is to run away from it until your lungs give out, then crawl a little further.

Over the years, I have read tons of post about how prazi is the safest med in the market, easiest to use etc.

while using it, I consistently would kill 5-6 fish within hours of dosing. believing it was a necessary evil, the last straw came this week.

this week alone I killed the following within 6 hours of dosing prazi, 5 ml per 20 gallon. All these fish I’ve had in my possession for at least 3 weeks , if not more, and they died in less than 6 hours after dose:

bellus angel
Blue throat fairy wrasse
White face butterfly
Arabian butterfly
Blonde Naso
Masked swallowtail angel

You heard that right, administering prazi pro as a prophylactic measure in qt, I killed 6 fish alone this week who were otherwise healthy at the time of dose.

which begs the question, and I am starting to believe this, I’ve killed more fish in “qt” versus going right in. Not the most popular thing to say, and I’m not sure there is a good way because I know velvet can wipe out fish fast, but I myself have killed more by trying to treat than not treating.

oh ad fwiw, having talked to 3-4 vendors who qt fish, they all have presentations about prazi, and I know of two who simply won’t use it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, I prazi all my fish and never lost any of them.

Considering prazi pro is actually stronger then it needs to be for flukes, I under dose it though. Also many commercial tanks hold less water then they state.

Maybe something is wrong with that bottle?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks sorry to hear about losing some nice fish. I am not a fan of treating otherwise healthy fish in QT with anything other than copper. Pretty much everything is going to stress an already stressed fish. I QT everything for a long period for observation rather than prophylactic approach.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used Prazi Multiple times and Never an issue.
Do realixze that you may have treated for a full tank volume not accounting for actual volume with rocks and other structures in the tank and Prazi does Lower Oxygen levels and curb appetite of the fish.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed way more fish by prophylaxis than use of observation via holding systems using U.V., Ozone, Protein skimming, and biological filtration. My retail store customers experienced the same thing and that is why they paid me to design, build, and install their systems. ;)
I only use chemical or antibiotic intervention when it is the court of last resort. Then it is best to get a diagnosis via microscope or decropsy before treatment. Treat the disease not the symptoms as many are visually the same.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe oxygen? That is a lot of fish in a 20g and prazi will lower oxygen. When I use it, I am normally treating 1-2 fish at a time with a lot of surface agitation.
Never said it was a 20 gallon system. Just dosed at the rate of 5 ml per 20 gallons.

total system is 130 gallons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also, recommended to do a water change Prior to treatment to Increase O2.
I treat at 1oz per 120 gallons.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed way more fish by prophylaxis than use of observation via holding systems using U.V., Ozone, Protein skimming, and biological filtration. My retail store customers experienced the same thing and that is why they paid me to design, build, and install their systems. ;)
I only use chemical or antibiotic intervention when it is the court of last resort. Then it is best to get a diagnosis via microscope or decropsy before treatment. Treat the disease not the symptoms as many are visually the same.

i 100 percent agree. When an lfs gets a certain wrasse in and throws it in his display tank, and I take the same wrasse at same time, and it’s dead in a week after prazi dose, yet, 3-4 weeks later his is still kicking without “qt”, just doesn’t make sense.

I have friend that dont qt, and lose less than me and at.

for specs, my qt system is 130 gallons total. 8 total tanks plumbed into a central sump. Skimmer, 10 pounds of rock total, two sponges in sump along with ceramic bio media. Air lines in each tank connected to air pump, along with skimmer running during prazi with cup off.

wont mention names, but certain qt vendors on this site and some not far away have told me they hate prazi pro and lose stuff all the time when using it.

im not much anti qt right now, just hate the fact that everywhere out there it’s touted as a “gentle” med, and some have even stated they double and triple the dose no problem.

these fish were active and eating 1 hr prior to dose, next morning, lifeless and dead. $600 bucks gone overnight, all in the name of “preventative treatment” . Lol yea prevents them from living . Still have about 10 fish in there still alive, see what makes it thru round 2.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have misunderstood—-you have a 130G QT setup with 8 tanks? That is a serious operation
It is not uncommon if you are serious and have multiple display or even one large display tank to stock. I set up and took down multiple systems to service special customers large or multiple display systems. I would house and hold the specimens for 30 days or more before moving them to the main displays. This allowed me to assure healthy fish and inverts before putting them into the customers tanks. Standard practice back in the day.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said it was a 20 gallon system. Just dosed at the rate of 5 ml per 20 gallons.

total system is 130 gallons.

My bad.

Not sure.. I have leopards and China wrasse and radiants and a Copperband and such and they all did pretty well in QT but I do hybrid TTM and usually toss some prazi in the observation tank. I do a decent sized water change before and there is no other potential medication contamination since I don’t use copper or anything.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody actually tested whether PraziPro actually lowers dissolved oxygen levels?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone looking into prazi pro, my suggestion is to run away from it until your lungs give out, then crawl a little further.

Over the years, I have read tons of post about how prazi is the safest med in the market, easiest to use etc.

while using it, I consistently would kill 5-6 fish within hours of dosing. believing it was a necessary evil, the last straw came this week.

this week alone I killed the following within 6 hours of dosing prazi, 5 ml per 20 gallon. All these fish I’ve had in my possession for at least 3 weeks , if not more, and they died in less than 6 hours after dose:

bellus angel
Blue throat fairy wrasse
White face butterfly
Arabian butterfly
Blonde Naso
Masked swallowtail angel

You heard that right, administering prazi pro as a prophylactic measure in qt, I killed 6 fish alone this week who were otherwise healthy at the time of dose.

which begs the question, and I am starting to believe this, I’ve killed more fish in “qt” versus going right in. Not the most popular thing to say, and I’m not sure there is a good way because I know velvet can wipe out fish fast, but I myself have killed more by trying to treat than not treating.

oh ad fwiw, having talked to 3-4 vendors who qt fish, they all have presentations about prazi, and I know of two who simply won’t use it.

I've used Prazipro uncountable times without killing fish.

If I were you I would review very closelly any other reasosns for killing fish and QT protocols, starting with good oxigenation, checking if salinity on fish bag and QT is the same (or at least very close), if there's no temperature shock, no ammonia etc.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Prazipro uncountable times without killing fish.

If I were you I would review very closelly any other reasosns for killing fish and QT protocols, starting with good oxigenation, checking if salinity on fish bag and QT is the same (or at least very close), if there's no temperature shock, no ammonia etc.
So 3 weeks in qt all is fine, no issues. Prazi pro dose, and 6 hours later 5 dead, who were all fine. Again, I’ll pm you 3 vendors right now who all says they professionally hate that stuff and lose stuff on reguLar basis. The stuff sucks

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have misunderstood—-you have a 130G QT setup with 8 tanks? That is a serious operation
I had multiple 20 gallon tanks (high and long) that I ran individually for qt. Each with their own hang on back filter.

after qt, I would bleach the em doen and restart with biospira. Well to restart 6 tanks, with biospira, was about $100 just in biospirA. Plus every time I measured copper I had to do 6 test, way too time consuming.

I went out and got a diamond bit, some bulk heads, and a few more 20s, and plumbed them all together in 1 sump with bio media and a skimmer, 1 300 watt heater instead of multiple 75 watts. And I just leave system running, with copper and water changes . This way I’m not wasting money on biospira , and less filters running, plus only test copper once for system instead of individually.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's totally fine for you to hate it and never use it again. But it's also totally fine for the rest of us having success with it and keep using it. We all believe in our previous experience, they're all true even though they different.

A conversation like this won't push our husbandry much. What will really help is to find out what exactly cause the death. Is it oxygen depletion? Bacteria bloom? Did it trigger some sort of bacteria infection? Is it some actually toxicity in the medication? Is the tank got a tight cover without lots of surface agitation, and have been running in relatively low oxygen level and prazipro just pushed it over the edge? Why it works for many but don't work for you is the most important question. I always run a hob filter and have water level a bit lower, and run an air pump when running prazipro, yet still worry about oxygen depletion. Luckily it never happened.

Also API general care is a safer alternative. It has the same active ingredient for deworming. But it didn't have the secondary ingredient of prazipro, which trigger bacteria bloom.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back