Stay away from WAV, 1Link - pumps start to fail after 1 year.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've become a big fan of the Neptune stuff. My biggest gripe is that for the price we pay, why do we have to have an adapter from BPS to NPT. Can they not get their manufacture to produce NPT? Is the USA too small a market to consider doing it right. Red Sea does the same thing and provides crap plumbing. For the price they should do the plumbing right.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to ask Neptune specifically, but I'd imagine it comes down to cost. Much cheaper to use existing manufacturing infrastructure to make 'new products'. Buying and commissioning a new, purpose built injection mold is not an inexpensive proposition (I know, I've done it). Neptune is a big fish in a small pond - dedicating significant resources to giving the COR regionally-appropriate pipe threads versus supplying a couple of cheap adapters seems ...... well, I'd have made the same choice (as did ETM with the Vectra, etc, etc.).

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to ask Neptune specifically, but I'd imagine it comes down to cost. Much cheaper to use existing manufacturing infrastructure to make 'new products'. Buying and commissioning a new, purpose built injection mold is not an inexpensive proposition (I know, I've done it). Neptune is a big fish in a small pond - dedicating significant resources to giving the COR regionally-appropriate pipe threads versus supplying a couple of cheap adapters seems ...... well, I'd have made the same choice (as did ETM with the Vectra, etc, etc.).

The question is do you build a customer base with cheap solutions at a premium price or good quality at a premium price. One has short term gains the other pays off in the long term

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of neptune products. Have had lots of issues too. They have taken care of me everytime. Cant say for the Wav, but I have two MP40’s that have given me LOTS of headaches. Ran radions that failed, blinked on and off while still new.
I cant blame Ecotech as producing cheap products, because I understand thousands of others out there are happy with no issues.

We must understand that controllers have lots more involved than any other equipment out there. Fail probability cant be compared to other generic equipment. How about amount of apex owners? So many of them. Things arent as bad as we might think.

I had a Cor20 fail after a month of use. They are sending me a replacement. Every single Jebao product ive owned failed prematurely. An Eheim compact 3000+ was leaking votage in my tank...and the list goes on. I am running a Vectra M1 now. I pray it works because if not im out of options.

Neptune is a big fish in a small pond because very few fish would survive in that pond. It is a very risky pond to be in. I know a friend that owns a Profiux. Trust me he is in touch with their rep all the time for issues too. Dont be fooled by the ideal bulletproof product, it doesnt exist.

As far as bringing the Cerebra talk when your wav fails? Really?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imagine that Neptune has concluded that BSP-plus-adapter versus native NPT is not a big driver of incremental sales :D; if it were they probably would have made a different choice. I fail to see how one is of inferior 'quality' versus the other. Would you be willing to pay $50 more for NPT threads? Also, keep in mind that the long-term is only possible by making sensible trade off decisions in the short-term. I don't imagine there are millions of dollars of venture capital funding salivating at the prospect of investing in aquarium equipment manufacturing companies. This hobby is littered with now defunct manufactures that failed to realize this. Seems intuitively obvious to me .....

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 was kits. All 4 are dirty and despite that they are still spinning. However the water output of them is severely reduced. I’m going to soak them today and see how they perform after a good soak.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 out of my four failed right after the one year mark. I had two WAV pumps that both died right after 1 year- just after the warranty. Both were early versions. I have two that I also bought later that are still working so far just past the one year mark. I hope they last.

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine died just after two years. Something bad in the motor block. Looks to me the material they used to seal the motor block is not holding up. Too much for a pump that dies after 2 years.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of going with WAV...... opted for 2 GYRE XF250’s on my Reefer 450. I’m tickled pink. CORAL VUE even sent me a new advance controller because the blue LED screen was pooping out on me. No Shananigans ......they just wanted a picture of the screen and the sales receipt. They even sent that sucker FEDEX! Thank You Carlos!

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I let the community know - guys stay away from Neptune WAV pumps and the 1Link module. Someone started a very nice thread on Neptune Community Forums, asking members who ran WAVs for more then a year. Reports started coming in of the pumps starting to fail right between 1-2 years of use. Neptune seemed to take care of the issue, but it seems they no longer are once you cross the 2-year mark.

WAV pumps
WAV pumps seem to just fail out of the blue. Initial responses seemed to point the finger at lack of maintenance, broken impellers, basically user fault. But as people started to post pictures, some pumps were impeccable, cleaned regularly, until they died. If yours dies in the magic 1-2 year mark, you are lucky. If not (and more and more of these are going to show up very soon), get ready to shell out another $100 on this system. Neptune is offering a replacement at 50% discount, although Jon was very quick to mention normally the discount is 20%. Here in lies the question - if the product is not faulty, and you stand by your warranty, why offer 50% when your standard discount is 20?

1Link Module
The module that controls these pumps has a serious design flaw. This was advertised as a magic product compared to mp40s. You don't need multiple controllers, just plug up to 3 pumps in and they all work. Well, not so fast. As soon as your single pump breaks, the module shorts out leaving you to guess what just happened. To help matters further, the power supply for the 1Link module blinks and makes a hissing sound non-stop. I almost purchased a new power supply thinking that was it, before figuring out it was the pump.

Long story, I know, but unfortunately Neptune WAV is this year's vertex cerebra.

Heard this from several people now

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of going with WAV...... opted for 2 GYRE XF250’s on my Reefer 450. I’m tickled pink. CORAL VUE even sent me a new advance controller because the blue LED screen was pooping out on me. No Shananigans ......they just wanted a picture of the screen and the sales receipt. They even sent that sucker FEDEX! Thank You Carlos!

Good choice... love my gyres... wouldnt go with anything else

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that is under warranty I sent in for inspection the one that was out of warranty I just through in the garbage
The one out of warranty they should at least have you run some diagnostics on it for further troubleshooting. That is what they did for mine that were out of warranty.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all that Neptune has to offer except the trident and the cor I’m hesitating on the cor because I want to see the longevity of them . I’m kinda upset with the wavs when I have cheap jebaeo pumps going for 4 years

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the one I sent in is only 4 months old the one that was out of warranty I trashed it not thinking they may give me a credit or something so I’m outta luck on that one

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the more I research these things have a very high fail rate after 12 months I hope it was just a fluke but google it and see for yourself. I’m hoping Neptune took notice and made some improvements

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back