Stay away from WAV, 1Link - pumps start to fail after 1 year.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wav arrived no issues what so ever , the techs I spoke to were super professional and wanted to get me taken care of fast . Every company has hiccups and how the take care of the issue decides the integrity of the company to me . So I have to say Neptune is still number 1 in my book

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so frustrated with WAVs that failed and Neptune did NOT make good in the first year or so; I ended up getting a Tunze Stream 3. It has a 5 year warrantee! Good bye WAVs!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve mostly retired my WAV pumps. Just got sick of the buzzing cords. Quartet of MP60 will do just fine.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the premium price not a quality product. Had both of mine fail a few days after warranty ran out. Neptune did repair one and replace the other, makes me think they are aware of the quality issues. Also the impeller is very fragile and at $50 to replace I am considering another product.

charlieborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy after reading all this, I'm glade i bought mine second hand at $75 for two pumps and the link thing. The seller knew one of them was not right, Thatswhy the $75 price. He originally wanted $250 for it. But he ckeanedthem and checked them and found the one was not working right.
One works fine, but one does not work. At the price these things cost, I would expect many years of service from them!
It shows "OK 44%". I can feel it start to run, but just jumps for a fraction of a second. I does not show a RPM at all. It does show a temp of 43 and is dropping over time. I tried using different setting in it, changed where it was pluged in to my new apex. The problem followes the pump. Changed the impellers and the problem still stayed with the pump. What to try next?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy after reading all this, I'm glade i bought mine second hand at $75 for two pumps and the link thing. The seller knew one of them was not right, Thatswhy the $75 price. He originally wanted $250 for it. But he ckeanedthem and checked them and found the one was not working right.
One works fine, but one does not work. At the price these things cost, I would expect many years of service from them!
It shows "OK 44%". I can feel it start to run, but just jumps for a fraction of a second. I does not show a RPM at all. It does show a temp of 43 and is dropping over time. I tried using different setting in it, changed where it was pluged in to my new apex. The problem followes the pump. Changed the impellers and the problem still stayed with the pump. What to try next?
From my experience the pump is faulty. Especially if the 1 link or power bar outputs don't make a difference.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wav pumps both died and now the Neptune rep has asked me to check my FMM module about four times and I have told them I don't have an FMM module even attached. The 1 link loses power when the aqua bus is disconnected, so it seems like I am out of luck with no pumps . I am not going to buy another 1link and not even know if the pumps will work. I honestly think I am just going to abandon Apex all together , they seem to have lost touch with quality in their products. I have an Apex classic and it works fine but everything new they are coming out with , just lacks quality in my opinion. They obviously know what the issue is just by the questions they are asking me. Meanwhile the end user is without the necessary product for days.

I am considering just going with Tunze pumps that will last forever and cut my losses on the Neptune Wav Pumps. I am assuming Neptune is going to say I need to buy a new 1Link , which is $150 and I still have no idea if the Wav Pumps will even work after I buy it.

Neptune , I guess you are growing beyond the basic hobbyist and just looking for customers who spend like a drunken sailor.

U

User1

View Badges
Neptune , I guess you are growing beyond the basic hobbyist and just looking for customers who spend like a drunken sailor.

I'm offended. Having been a drunken sailor a few times, more than a few times, I can say without a doubt at any of those such times I never bought a WAV pump. Ever.

Wait, I'm not a squid...I'm a wing nut. Oh, let me redact my statement and start over. I'm still offended. Having been a drunken airman a few times, more than a few times (true story), I can say without a doubt at any of those such times I still never bought a WAVE pump. Ever.

:D

What is the deal with the propeller? If the rest of the unit is still functioning is it possible to 3D print a replacement? It is interesting that I read a lot of conflicting things on the units so really wondering. Their return pumps, Cor's, are built like a tank which is why I'm wondering what is wrong with them.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm offended. Having been a drunken sailor a few times, more than a few times, I can say without a doubt at any of those such times I never bought a WAV pump. Ever.

Wait, I'm not a squid...I'm a wing nut. Oh, let me redact my statement and start over. I'm still offended. Having been a drunken airman a few times, more than a few times (true story), I can say without a doubt at any of those such times I still never bought a WAVE pump. Ever.

:D

What is the deal with the propeller? If the rest of the unit is still functioning is it possible to 3D print a replacement? It is interesting that I read a lot of conflicting things on the units so really wondering. Their return pumps, Cor's, are built like a tank which is why I'm wondering what is wrong with them.

The jury is still out on what the actual issue if on mine but so far the 1link is gone , so I am not sure if my WAV pumps are actually working , unless I have a 1 link to test them Waiting to hear back from Neptune

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The jury is still out on what the actual issue if on mine but so far the 1link is gone , so I am not sure if my WAV pumps are actually working , unless I have a 1 link to test them Waiting to hear back from Neptune

Can you add more details as to how it happened? If you disconnect both pumps from the 1link, and plug aquabus in, does it work?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add more details as to how it happened? If you disconnect both pumps from the 1link, and plug aquabus in, does it work?

So if I unplug aquabus the status light goes out , so Neptune support said check the power supply, so I did and that is lit up green. So something in the 1link is causing the issue. I am waiting now to hear back on the next step. If I have to buy a new one link , I am just switching to a new brand of pumps , I am not going to keep sinking money into Apex products. For the prices they charge I expect them to surpass other products , not last a couple years and dispose of it.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if I unplug aquabus the status light goes out , so Neptune support said check the power supply, so I did and that is lit up green. So something in the 1link is causing the issue. I am waiting now to hear back on the next step. If I have to buy a new one link , I am just switching to a new brand of pumps , I am not going to keep sinking money into Apex products. For the prices they charge I expect them to surpass other products , not last a couple years and dispose of it.

When that happens, are the pumps plugged into 1link?

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a WAV pump 3 years ago and it failed after 11 months. After quite a bit of back and forth with Neptune, they replaced it for free with a new one. At the same time I bought a second one. Both have been running for over 2 years now with no problems. I really love how they just connect right up to the power bar (EB832) with no controllers or power supplies. And how simple it is to put them in low power mode when the power goes out and my system switches to battery backup.

I'm sure it's been said before but remember that no one starts a thread just to say that their WAV pumps have been working fine. It's possible that 95% of them are running like champs and we just never hear about it.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a WAV pump 3 years ago and it failed after 11 months. After quite a bit of back and forth with Neptune, they replaced it for free with a new one. At the same time I bought a second one. Both have been running for over 2 years now with no problems. I really love how they just connect right up to the power bar (EB832) with no controllers or power supplies. And how simple it is to put them in low power mode when the power goes out and my system switches to battery backup.

I'm sure it's been said before but remember that no one starts a thread just to say that their WAV pumps have been working fine. It's possible that 95% of them are running like champs and we just never hear about it.

Could be true and we will see how Neptune handles my situation , I don't have a EB832, I still run the Apex classic. Since I can't get a Trident anyway because they are scarce , no sense of upgrading yet. My classic runs great and is in pristine condition

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today Neptune Apex really got on my nerves. And I let them know so they called me and wanted me to test the power supply with a voltage meter. The tech figured it is power supply not supplying correct power. So I tested it when I got home and it tests fine. So it seems the issue is the 1Link Module , which I am not going to buy a new one for $150, way to much for that Module. I am going to see if Neptune can test my Wav Pumps if I send them in and I am just going to sell them used if they are fine and move on to something more reliable. I can't afford to play these expensive games with Neptune. It just isn't the level of product I expected , I expected top notch quality , meanwhile my old Hydor pumps will be taken out of retirement tomorrow and put back into action. It is true not to fix things if they aren't broke and that is my mistake moving to the Wav pumps.

IMG_20191126_185146.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today Neptune Apex really got on my nerves. And I let them know so they called me and wanted me to test the power supply with a voltage meter. The tech figured it is power supply not supplying correct power. So I tested it when I got home and it tests fine. So it seems the issue is the 1Link Module , which I am not going to buy a new one for $150, way to much for that Module. I am going to see if Neptune can test my Wav Pumps if I send them in and I am just going to sell them used if they are fine and move on to something more reliable. I can't afford to play these expensive games with Neptune. It just isn't the level of product I expected , I expected top notch quality , meanwhile my old Hydor pumps will be taken out of retirement tomorrow and put back into action. It is true not to fix things if they aren't broke and that is my mistake moving to the Wav pumps.

IMG_20191126_185146.jpg
When you plug the WAVs into the 1Link do they get a secure connection? My 1Link from day one had the internal components barely glued in place with no screws. Like one tiny drop of glue. Upon plugging in the WAVs in it moved the internal board around. So I had a bad connection several times till I looked closer. Eventually I took it apart myself and hot glued the circuit board corners in place. Its never moved since. Connections are solid.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you plug the WAVs into the 1Link do they get a secure connection? My 1Link from day one had the internal components barely glued in place with no screws. Like one tiny drop of glue. Upon plugging in the WAVs in it moved the internal board around. So I had a bad connection several times till I looked closer. Eventually I took it apart myself and hot glued the circuit board corners in place. Its never moved since. Connections are solid.

I will check , at this point I might take it apart and see what is going on, I can't do any more damage anyways. Thanks for the advice

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said once and I'll say it again. Some of the best tanks I've seen do not utilize these so called "Controllers" I was never a fan of the WAV.....didnt like that it has to plug into a Neptune unit as opposed to an electrical outlet. I have 2 Maxpect Gyres XF-250's on my Reefer 450 and I could not be happier. So much flow at my disposal and sooooooooo powerful, I'm actually running them at 10% out of 100%

I use the Apex Jr. only for my DOS and ALD module, and as a $400 power strip to turn things on/off

Honestly, if I could go back in time.......I would have taken the money spent on the Apex and put it towards corals, or other high end equipment.

IMO. Neptune makes some innovative products, but their business model and customer service is not the best.......
and don't even get me started on LiveAquaria.......................LOL.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back