Steamer clam from grocery store in tank?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, what happens if I acclimate and throw a live steamer clam from the grocery store in my tank? Will it survive or will it die?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, what happens if I acclimate and throw a live steamer clam from the grocery store in my tank? Will it survive or will it die?
Depends on where it's from. Lots of the clams come from cooler waters. You can try but keep an eye on it

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a thread last year on this also. Similar concern about cooler water and they would starve without very high nutrient waters

I would also caution about adding potential pathogens into your tank from grocery store clams, but that’s just my opinion.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about a dozen back in February, one has survived to date

They burrow themselves in sand so you’ll never really see it.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there something about some kind of risk based on what the grocery store clams may or may not have been treated or sprayed with?

That said, I routinely cut them open and feed them to the tank. Have only seen positive effects of this.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there something about some kind of risk based on what the grocery store clams may or may not have been treated or sprayed with?

That said, I routinely cut them open and feed them to the tank. Have only seen positive effects of this.
I go to the local fish market and buy clams and oysters for my fish food. Once twice I saved one and threw it into the tank. One is still alive. The other the puffer got to it in my fowlr.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would probably need alot of supplemental feeding as well since they aren't photosynthetic

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to the local fish market and buy clams and oysters for my fish food. Once twice I saved one and threw it into the tank. One is still alive. The other the puffer got to it in my fowlr.
Now that I think about it, it is the shrimp we buy in grocery stores that may have been sprayed with something that could pose a risk ...

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, it is the shrimp we buy in grocery stores that may have been sprayed with something that could pose a risk ...
It's usually a phosphate solution that they spray shrimp with I believe

Back