OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone! The tank arrived in time for my birthday (December 31st), but unfortunately there are some issues with the tank and I’m waiting on a replacement. I haven’t posted details because I was very emotional about this and I wanted to give the lfs and builder a chance to make it right before mentioning anything online. Both business are reputable so I’m hopeful that the tank will be up and running soon. I’m currently working on the shelves that will go on each side of it and installing cabinet lighting. The bright side of having to wait is getting more time to work on the details and maybe even save up for that apex that was mentioned! Bwahaha!!!

I’m itching to get water going through that sump!!!! It’s pretty sweet!!! Hubby got the bigger one and I’m very excited, although it does take up most of my cabinet space. The protein skimmer barely fits! Lol Luckily it’s very easy to empty the cup. I ended up going with the Maxspect skimmer.

My poor fish are eager to get out of the quarantine tanks and I’m pleased to report that my yellow tang is showing improvement. He got an infection that has been resistant to the normal antibiotics and has been getting injections every other day for two weeks (Not fun!) Ive gotten pretty good at it and he’s been a rock star tolerating it. Keep your fingers crossed for this sweet little guy please

E6FE1081-53A5-485F-A742-334E4A6D6595.jpeg

6E65AD39-0E38-46FE-80A3-5EA3DC72D2E9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,i missed a few ,top is beautiful,great work ;) got the sump for Christmas,getting that tank on your B,day??
HAPPY BIRTHDAY:),how close to midnight were you born?...and we need an update;Happy
I was born around 6am....but check this out ....so was my mom! Hers is also December 31st...exactly 20 years before mine and within five minutes of my time of birth! Weird, huh?! Hahaha

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool..!!

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowwww the wood top is beautiful, very. Will there will be a ledge around the tank, I’m guessing so? Too pretty to hide all under the tank! ;-)
Thanks so much!!!! I’m going to be putting oak trim around it and may do something special with the doors....I’m very indecisive about the doors because I’m terrible at door hardware! haha

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider just a clip on cover door, then you don't have to worry about door hardware. IME, hardware just corroded over a relatively short time and does not function well.
There are a variety of ways you can have attachments to hold the door in place that can easily remove when you work on the tank. To open it, it is slightly harder then just open a door, but after 4-5 years, you will be glad that it does not corroded and sagging hinges.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!!!! I’m going to be putting oak trim around it and may do something special with the doors....I’m very indecisive about the doors because I’m terrible at door hardware! haha

Marine hinges

Covering hinges in petroleum jelly works pretty well but you have to really cover it.

Or there’s this, which I haven’t tried...

Rust-Oleum 275185 Never Wet 14-Ounce Industrial Size Multi Purpose Liquid Repelling Treatment Kit- Base and Top coat

I agree magnets are best but I really don’t like taking panels on/off all the time. It makes me procrastinate doing things in the tank.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my stand in 2002 and used brass hinges. In almost 20 years, my hinges have a slight patina of corrosion, but are in no way functionally compromised. Not saying brass is the way to go, I just think the fear of corrosion is overblown. I wouldn’t use some cheap pot metal hinges, but I think well built hinges will be just fine. And adding a protective coating would be perfect. I put no protective coating on mine.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just wanted to share my experience...
5252A3DD-66BB-46E6-8DD4-263CC1DA14B5.jpeg

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine hinges

Covering hinges in petroleum jelly works pretty well but you have to really cover it.

Or there’s this, which I haven’t tried...

Rust-Oleum 275185 Never Wet 14-Ounce Industrial Size Multi Purpose Liquid Repelling Treatment Kit- Base and Top coat

I agree magnets are best but I really don’t like taking panels on/off all the time. It makes me procrastinate doing things in the tank.

I may go with some of the more simple marine hinges for the stand doors but magnets may be the perfect solution to the larger doors on the front of the hood since I won’t be opening those too often. Thanks for the suggestions :)

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may go with some of the more simple marine hinges for the stand doors but magnets may be the perfect solution to the larger doors on the front of the hood since I won’t be opening those too often. Thanks for the suggestions :)

I might do that on my canopy too, can’t decide.

Did you see these epoxy-coated ones?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used magnets for my two front panels. Very nice to be able to just move them completely out of the way. But there have been a few times when they just got dropped when I was just taking a little peek. Kinda wish I'd done a quick release hinge of some kind, like these from the Boat Outfitters site:

1610263013940.png

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are both good options! I love how versatile the magnets are so I’m kinda leaning towards that option. Just finished the top part of the cabinets that are going on each side of the tank. Yayyy!!!! I recycled the original cabinet wood, but decided to use two shelves instead of three since the original setup looked very cluttered. I’m hoping to have them secured into place early this week. After that it’s time to move on to the crown molding. (Wish me luck with that one! Lol)

0F656B60-405F-4436-B355-D143B7FBA4C7.jpeg

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been working on getting the trim and final touches on the shelves....crown molding sucks!!!! I finally (sort of) got the hang of it (pardon the pun) as I was finishing the last piece. Now I just need to begin the hood pieces and hopefully the replacement tank will arrive around the time I’m done. :cool:

B73D5A90-FE13-4A24-BAA4-53755AAA10F0.jpeg 8DC90D61-93CF-4C88-AA0C-104B84173C85.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOOKS GREAT..!!! ,I remember what it looked like before the start :) :cool:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! What a difference.. I just read this post and my first reaction was "What a shame to tear out all of that beautiful cabinetry." I must admit that the transformation is quite impressive. You definitely have above average skill with woodworking. I will be watching this thread for sure as you progress... I am excited to see the final finished results.

Cheers,
Steve

PS: 71 rocks too!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back