OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower nems got frisky this past week.
Ummm yeah…a picture is worth a thousand words hahaha :face-with-tears-of-joy:
5570FF4C-765A-4B09-A6C7-A22CD6DC1404.gif

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends! I hope you’re all doing well this summer.

So I’ve been battling an aiptasia problem for the past few months and it’s really taking a toll on me mentally. It’s such a sad feeling trying to deal with this and pretty much anything I do seems to be a waste of effort. There are a lot of different suggestions for dealing with these pests but the truth is nothing actually works 100%. Nothing. I’ve gotten a lot of advice with good intentions but in a very large high flow tank with a very large sump it’s extremely difficult to keep these little turds from multiplying because there are so many hiding places.

Hubby even bought the new Reef Delete gadget. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a small tank and small infestation. It’s a good concept but it’s difficult to use on a large scale because you have to hold it in place near each pest for 60 seconds while pressing the button. After 60 seconds your fingers will be hurting like crazy and what’s left is a shriveled aiptasia that will recover if you don’t repeat treatment. Try doing this 10-20 times and see how sore you get! Lol Yeah, so that didn’t work out.

My last hope now is an army of berghias that have cost me a small fortune. They seem to be knocking it back slowly…very very slowly. I’ve lost several zoanthid colonies, my elegance corals and a couple of blastos because of the infestation but thankfully my acros are still doing well and most importantly my fish are doing well and happy. Darlin the Naso tang is growing like a weed and everyone is getting along. There’s occasional tang drama but food always fixes it. Hahaha

45F1A148-214D-4EAB-961F-FA00AB7DE24B.gif

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends! I hope you’re all doing well this summer.

So I’ve been battling an aiptasia problem for the past few months and it’s really taking a toll on me mentally. It’s such a sad feeling trying to deal with this and pretty much anything I do seems to be a waste of effort. There are a lot of different suggestions for dealing with these pests but the truth is nothing actually works 100%. Nothing. I’ve gotten a lot of advice with good intentions but in a very large high flow tank with a very large sump it’s extremely difficult to keep these little turds from multiplying because there are so many hiding places.

Hubby even bought the new Reef Delete gadget. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a small tank and small infestation. It’s a good concept but it’s difficult to use on a large scale because you have to hold it in place near each pest for 60 seconds while pressing the button. After 60 seconds your fingers will be hurting like crazy and what’s left is a shriveled aiptasia that will recover if you don’t repeat treatment. Try doing this 10-20 times and see how sore you get! Lol Yeah, so that didn’t work out.

My last hope now is an army of berghias that have cost me a small fortune. They seem to be knocking it back slowly…very very slowly. I’ve lost several zoanthid colonies, my elegance corals and a couple of blastos because of the infestation but thankfully my acros are still doing well and most importantly my fish are doing well and happy. Darlin the Naso tang is growing like a weed and everyone is getting along. There’s occasional tang drama but food always fixes it. Hahaha

45F1A148-214D-4EAB-961F-FA00AB7DE24B.gif

I had an issue before on my tank. I got a CBB fish and he took care of it all. Unfortunately, he didn't acclimate to eating frozen food or pellets so he ended up passing :(

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia battle update

I’m super excited to report that the berghias have made a HUGE dent in the aiptasia problem. The infestation had gotten so bad that I was drawing up plans for a large indoor pond for the fish while tearing down the entire system. We’re talking REALLY BAD

My zoa colonies have begun to recover and although there is still a ton of aiptasia it’s looking so much better.

I’m also happy to say I’m finding egg circles and babies EVERYWHERE! These guys breed like rabbits. Haha I introduced 50 of them about 3 months ago and now it looks like there are at least double that amount. They’re cool little creatures and hunt in large packs. Some of these adults are almost an inch long now! Yay! After their work is done I plan to share them with other reefers who are struggling with aiptasia.

3DCA6CB8-974D-402C-89B3-2755330A788B.jpeg
1A4FBCE2-74CF-47C2-A880-E0473B1EF6A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back