Stephanie’s 240 Built In Mixed Reef

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen your thread in a while, it all looks so good! You have a really good eye. Wish you could give my wife some tips. Shelves to her are just a place to put whatever. :D

I have similar shelves in my living room and you’ve inspired me to install lighting, makes such a big difference.

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen your thread in a while, it all looks so good! You have a really good eye. Wish you could give my wife some tips. Shelves to her are just a place to put whatever. :D

I have similar shelves in my living room and you’ve inspired me to install lighting, makes such a big difference.
Thank you so much!!! I love lighting, it really adds a touch of sophistication and cheer. The lights are just simple plug in strips with a dimmer. They’re super cheap and easy to install...just a matter of hiding the cords.

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shopping for lighting currently...is anyone using black box lighting with good results?

I’m a big fan of radions but I haven’t found a buyer for one of my kidneys yet :p
I’m using 3 over my 200G Bowfront that one of the club members re-engineered using Cree lights. They have only been runnin for about 8 months but I love them.
and your tank looks freakin fantastic!!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone! The tank arrived in time for my birthday (December 31st), but unfortunately there are some issues with the tank and I’m waiting on a replacement. I haven’t posted details because I was very emotional about this and I wanted to give the lfs and builder a chance to make it right before mentioning anything online. Both business are reputable so I’m hopeful that the tank will be up and running soon. I’m currently working on the shelves that will go on each side of it and installing cabinet lighting. The bright side of having to wait is getting more time to work on the details and maybe even save up for that apex that was mentioned! Bwahaha!!!

I’m itching to get water going through that sump!!!! It’s pretty sweet!!! Hubby got the bigger one and I’m very excited, although it does take up most of my cabinet space. The protein skimmer barely fits! Lol Luckily it’s very easy to empty the cup. I ended up going with the Maxspect skimmer.

My poor fish are eager to get out of the quarantine tanks and I’m pleased to report that my yellow tang is showing improvement. He got an infection that has been resistant to the normal antibiotics and has been getting injections every other day for two weeks (Not fun!) Ive gotten pretty good at it and he’s been a rock star tolerating it. Keep your fingers crossed for this sweet little guy please

E6FE1081-53A5-485F-A742-334E4A6D6595.jpeg

6E65AD39-0E38-46FE-80A3-5EA3DC72D2E9.jpeg

Ughhh... the tank builder didn’t have the tank ready in time to be delivered today. Soooo this saga continues another week. On a positive note, I took today off work for the delivery but I’m enjoying getting a little rest. It also gives me another week to work on the doors and canopy. It’s irritating but this too shall pass.

At least my little ones are still doing well in the quarantine tanks. More good news...I got extremely lucky with a yellow tang from petco!!!!! He was only $60 because his fins were damaged. This was after the Hawaii ban and subsequent price increases so I feel extremely lucky to have found him. :) Meet “Sunshine “!
84647BC2-4115-4603-9CE8-A055E1F5DE09.jpeg
80E57674-C2BC-45B2-B04B-069ADEC1F881.jpeg
The Petco Yellow tang's fins should heal well without problem after I month or two I think. I got my share of sick fish and invert at Petco and nurse them back to health.
Did your first yellow tang not make it? or are you going to have multiple yellow tangs in your tank?

Somebody mentioned above that you got "mad skills" and he is certainly right. The tank is coming along great and very beautiful, nicely build.

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco Yellow tang's fins should heal well without problem after I month or two I think. I got my share of sick fish and invert at Petco and nurse them back to health.
Did your first yellow tang not make it? or are you going to have multiple yellow tangs in your tank?

Somebody mentioned above that you got "mad skills" and he is certainly right. The tank is coming along great and very beautiful, nicely build.
Thanks so much! :) I’m very happy to say that my first yellow tang is doing well. My fish wish list originally included about five yellow tangs but recent events will prevent that. I have four Zebrasoma (two yellow, one purple and a scopas). I may add another zebra but for now my quarantine tanks are full lol

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been awhile since I’ve posted an update. Houston and a good part of the state went through some very rough times lately and it’s been heartbreaking seeing all the damage to homes and total loss of tanks and beloved livestock. I was extremely lucky - all my finned kids are alive and well and we didn’t have any property damage other than losing some trees.

The carpentry part of the build is getting very close to completion. The hood is finished and the doors for the stand and hood have been built. After the paint is dry I’m hoping to mount them this weekend and install final trim to fill in any gaps between the different parts of the cabinetry.

The replacement tank was delivered a bit later than promised but the builder and lfs both did right by me and the end result is worth it. The tank has been cycling for two weeks and I’ll be working on the aquascape this weekend. Hubby will be glad to see the gigantic pile of rocks in our dining room go away! Lol

I finally decided on lighting (ReefBreeders Photons) and they arrived last week! Yayyy!!!!! Without the top doors of the hood it looks like a UFO landed in my living room haha! I’ll also be adding some slim retrofit T5 fixtures to ensure even spread.

After the doors are installed I’ll post another photo that isn’t quite so blinding! Lol

I hope you’re all having a wonderful evening :D
747C78D4-A638-4C54-BA3B-5493B74F4E29.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, it's really coming together!!! very nice work ;) :cool:

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carpentry work is officially DONE!!!! Yayyy!!!
2BA2658C-A251-44BD-8156-74644FB9ACA6.jpeg
Be careful of water dropping on your wooden floor. Don't let it stay for too long. Something to think about. You can put a carpet of some kind but it might not fit your style. Just something to be aware of.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOVE IT... ;Wideyed :cool: great job,looks awesome..:)
you should add the before wall pic to that new pic,;):cool:again very nice.!!!

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of water dropping on your wooden floor. Don't let it stay for too long. Something to think about. You can put a carpet of some kind but it might not fit your style. Just something to be aware of.
I can totally vouch for that! Lol Aquariums and two Labrador retrievers pretty much destroyed the floor we had previously. This floor I have now is water resistant laminate and almost indestructible thankfully. I may still put a rug to cozy it up and add more protection. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back