Stephanie’s 240 Built In Mixed Reef

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love custom builds. This looks really cool. Good job on the stand.

Would you need plywood on top of that stand if you put the pink board on it? I’m just not sure if those holes would allow the foamboard to get crushed. My 180 has a rim around the outside edge, so the inside of my home made stand is hollow. The edges are what support the weight on mine. So I’m just thinking out loud, and not from personal experience.

Following along to see how this turns out. And I’m a fellow ‘72 vintage!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, on the plywood on top of stand :)

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love custom builds. This looks really cool. Good job on the stand.

Would you need plywood on top of that stand if you put the pink board on it? I’m just not sure if those holes would allow the foamboard to get crushed. My 180 has a rim around the outside edge, so the inside of my home made stand is hollow. The edges are what support the weight on mine. So I’m just thinking out loud, and not from personal experience.

Following along to see how this turns out. And I’m a fellow ‘72 vintage!
72 rocks! I’m going to use vintage going forward rather than saying I’m just old! Lol
I’ll be using plywood for the top of the stand because once it’s in the house I’m going to (hopefully blend it in with the existing wall cabinets. Thanks very much for following! :D

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6159F885-6EE1-4BF1-9230-1909166402BA.jpeg

This happened today! Hubby was home and I’m so proud of him for keeping his cool and pitching in to help! My parrot is a little confused about the room being gutted! Lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! I would have never thought of using the foam board and it’s wayyyy cheaper than the pads I was looking at. I found it at Home Depot and managed to cut it in half lengthwise & cram it into my tiny civic :p I’m sure this looks ridiculous but thankfully it’s not a long drive. Hahaha
93EE15E3-7268-4DBF-8B85-C31F459D436A.jpeg
Make use it is not too thick where it can put pressure up on the bottom glass and cause the bottom seal to separate. I set up 420 and 320 gal tank before. I just make sure the stand top is flat, and not worry about any thing in between the tank and the stand surface.

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers, I hope you’re doing well and staying safe!
A lot has been going on around here in the last month. The two pieces of original cabinetry that are staying have been cut and rebuilt. The stand is almost finished...finally! Lol. What you’re looking at here is a 2 x 6 frame surrounded by 3/4 inch plywood on each side. The front supports are doubled up for extra reinforcement and each corner is also doubled up. The top is solid oak click lock flooring that I picked up at lumber liquidators. Our house has a farmhouse/shabby chic feel so I wanted something different and a little rustic.

I’m working on the second set of doors tomorrow night. After that, the top will get sanded and stained, final trim goes on, and I’ll finish painting the outside. I’ll install the ventilation when I get it moved inside. I won’t be using the pink foam pad after all, but it saved my life!!! We used it to make a mock up of the sump and that came in very handy. I’ll post more as it all comes together.

506A97F3-7C5B-4D29-87C2-165136F5A095.jpeg 41F14FE8-9229-4E28-9D21-A19D93883813.jpeg 24EADA1C-1E2F-4C7E-B425-DEC2F59ED8FC.jpeg 454E3048-79F0-4454-BDA4-A96E35F264B9.jpeg B49FAA9F-E562-43BD-B6E9-99667191A47C.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight of a glass tank totally bear by the 4 side, vertical panels. I see that the wood on the back panel is different than the other three sides. I am sure you will sand it smooth, however as the weight of the tank increases as you fill it with water, the wood will compress a little. As long as the hardness of the woods are the same then there will not be problem. However, if one type of would compress a little more than the other, it could be a source of stress and my cause problem with the seam seal.
You cannot see most of the surface of the stand, only the edge. I would replace that back piece and change it to the same hardwood board and cut one long board in the middle to 4 short segments and use it to fill in the perimeter. Once you have the tank on the stand, you wont see any of the area where there are no floor board in the middle.

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight of a glass tank totally bear by the 4 side, vertical panels. I see that the wood on the back panel is different than the other three sides. I am sure you will sand it smooth, however as the weight of the tank increases as you fill it with water, the wood will compress a little. As long as the hardness of the woods are the same then there will not be problem. However, if one type of would compress a little more than the other, it could be a source of stress and my cause problem with the seam seal.
You cannot see most of the surface of the stand, only the edge. I would replace that back piece and change it to the same hardwood board and cut one long board in the middle to 4 short segments and use it to fill in the perimeter. Once you have the tank on the stand, you wont see any of the area where there are no floor board in the middle.
Are you referring to the plywood that is mounted on the back or the piece on the top? The pictures don’t give a good view of the inside but the main load bearing part of the back is the doubled up 2 x 6 beams that are inside of the stand. I left a little extra room in the back for equipment that will be mounted on the back. The tank will sit forward from the back about an inch.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the plywood that is mounted on the back or the piece on the top? The pictures don’t give a good view of the inside but the main load bearing part of the back is the doubled up 2 x 6 beams that are inside of the stand. I left a little extra room in the back for equipment that will be mounted on the back. The tank will sit forward from the back about an inch.
I worried that the back of the tank does not sit on the same material as the rest of the tank. If your tank sit only on the floor boards, not on that additional piece of wood, then everything is perfect. If your tank only sit one inch from the back of the stand, I would consider changing the top part of the back segment so that the tank all sit on the same material support, that way you don't have to worry that one part give a little more than the other part, thus cause stress to the tank. You obviously very handy, likely much more so than your husband. The stand looks really nice.
Good luck with your build

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worried that the back of the tank does not sit on the same material as the rest of the tank. If your tank sit only on the floor boards, not on that additional piece of wood, then everything is perfect. If your tank only sit one inch from the back of the stand, I would consider changing the top part of the back segment so that the tank all sit on the same material support, that way you don't have to worry that one part give a little more than the other part, thus cause stress to the tank. You obviously very handy, likely much more so than your husband. The stand looks really nice.
Good luck with your build
Thanks so much for the kind words! This project has been a big challenge for me! Lol I see now what you’re saying about the back piece. It’s a different color but it’s the same type of wood as the rest of the top (red oak). I ended up routing a channel to lock it in with the rest of the top and sanded everything down to smooth it out. I truly appreciate your help because I’d rather have things pointed out before the tank arrives and avoid disaster later on.

OP
OP
Steph72

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m counting the days until the tank and sump arrive. Right now I have three quarantine tanks and my 90 display....water changes are my life! Lol One of my rescue tangs is going to his new home this week so I can break down one tank soon (hopefully...) my favorite fish (baby Naso Tang) has a cloudy film over his eye this morning. He’s been perfectly healthy and in my display for six months! I noticed that the fox face has been harassing him so I may just put a divider in the display tank and see if the issue gets better. Ughhh.... I need nerve meds! Lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i missed a few ,top is beautiful,great work ;) got the sump for Christmas,getting that tank on your B,day??
HAPPY BIRTHDAY:),how close to midnight were you born?...and we need an update;Happy

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back