Stepper or DC Brushless motor for DYI Continuous feeding pump in calcium reactor?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, dude - I would buy a ready-made pump if I were you. I don't think you have a clue about it...

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you are one of those genious that persist irrespective - check out my build thread and see if it's for you:

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice link, good job as well, do you have issues with bubbles building up in your calcium reactor chamber?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice link, good job as well, do you have issues with bubbles building up in your calcium reactor chamber?
No such issues - but then my calcium reactor is DIY'd too and it's dual chamber with 2 ph probes and solenoid control via DIY controller..

Are bubbles causing you issues (they shouldn't really)? If you use a peristaltic pump, it should just pump out any excess CO2 out of your calcium reactor.. Some may use CO2 recirculation loop - but I opted not to have one...

Last edited:

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the calcium reactor build thread, if you are interested:

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna check that link too because I want to build my DYI Calcium reactor, mine is based on using a water filter housing for the chamber.

Do you use your peristaltic pump to pull water or to push water to the chamber?

Why you opted for not recirculating the CO2?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna check that link too because I want to build my DYI Calcium reactor, mine is based on using a water filter housing for the chamber.

Do you use your peristaltic pump to pull water or to push water to the chamber?

Why you opted for not recirculating the CO2?
I push water into reactor, I think there is little difference whether pull or push (push creates positive pressure in reactor and pull negative pressure, both positive and negative pressure has the same physical effect)..

I already had a lot of loops and connectors and adding recirculation loop sounded excessive. I decided to add it at a later stage if I it becomes necessary, but to be honest everything is working perfect since day one and I simply don't see a need in recirculation loop. Mind though one thing - it's a dual chamber reactor and any unused CO2 in chamber 1 will end up being used by chamber 2.. so the recirculation loop is less relevant..

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a recirculation pump.. just to be clear - it's different from CO2 recirculation loop..

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I need 1 pump (for recirculating the water inside the calcium reactor) and one pump for sucking or pushing water to the calcium reactor.

But I'm going to use only one chamber, so I'm probably gonna need CO2 recirculation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back