Stepping up to the plate...having fun with Fungia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re like many reefers, you strive to keep a variety of corals in your systems. Maybe it’s the whole “hunter-gatherer” thing that’s encoded in our DNA. Maybe it’s a fascination with spending our money as often as possible on stuff we like. Perhaps it’s even deeper…Perhaps, we just like all of the cool ways that nature expresses herself in her creations, and we want to enjoy them in our own homes. Oh, whatever..that sounds way to prosaic to be coming from me...Let's just cut to the chase.

At one time or another, a lot of you may have kept a “Plate Coral” (Fungia) species in your reef. You probably didn’t give it all that much thought, either, right? I mean, it just sort of sits on the sand, taking up space in an otherwise forgotten area of your reef. I’d like to think that you treasure your little Fungia more than that, but you may have just thought, “Okay, the thing looks alright down there; fills some space. Everything’s chill.”

There is a lot more to the humble Fungia than you might think. Like many corals, they are interesting and attractive in their own right, and deserve more than to simply be assigned a “parking space” on your sandbed! Let’s take a brief look at these cool corals and explore a few of their charms that you might have taken for granted!

UC2inch-blueish-tentacle-orange-fungia-128.jpg

Fungia are typically shallow water, free-living corals, with the exception of one species. They start out life living on rocks, and eventually detach themselves and wander off. Sort of like our own kids, right? Except for the rock part…Characteristically, they are flat and saucer shaped, although some species are slightly “domed” in appearance. Apparently, the more domed shapes lend themselves to more easy purging of sediments and sand from the coral-important for their health. Fungia have a single mouth, which is surrounded by tentacles that emerge from between thin skeletal plates radiating out from the mouth. There are like 40 plus species in the genus Fungia. I’ll bet you didn’t know that…I know that I didn’t know that for many years after I started messing around with them in my reefs. You know, science stuff. I mean, that’s not discussed in hobby forums, right, so who knew? (I’m giving us all a hard time, of course).

They all kind of look the same at first. The cool thing is that, since the identification of the various species relays heavily on things like differentiating the septae and costae (skeletal elements), and general shape of the corallite, there is a good chance that as reefers, we have many different species in our reefs that just fall under the trade name “Fungia.” Talk about a good time- have the gang over, break out the chips and beer, and your Veron book, and have at it. Yeah, good times!

2andhalfinch-fungia-sp-oddball-78.jpg

All joking aside, these are surprisingly interesting corals, and they are not particularly difficult to keep if you understand their habits and needs. Before we delve deeper…a quick factoid: Sometimes, we keep Plate Corals of the family Cycloseris in our reefs, too. Often, the they are sold as Fungia. Just like buying a fake Rolex versus a real one, there is an easy way to tell the difference. Fungia have an “attachment scar” on the bottom of their skeleton, showing where they were attached as youngsters. Cycloseris start out life as free-living individuals, and bear no such scar. Easy little trick of the trade that will help you get at least a very “basic” ID started. At best, it will make you seem really knowledgable to the gang at your next club event! Now, don’t get into the habit of sticking your hands into your friends’ reefs to flip over their plate corals in a quest to see what Plate Coral they have. That might not go over too well. On the other hand, I see the rudimentary beginnings of a drinking game forming here…hmm..

Generally, these are pretty hardy corals, and their care is not difficult. Like many corals, the key is to start out with healthy specimens, and then to give them the proper conditions to thrive. Let’s take a little deeper look here.

First off, when you purchase a Fungia, make sure that you’re obtaining an individual with an intact skeleton and no obvious external damage. These corals are remarkably robust, but they do get banged about a bit during shipping and handling, and take a hit or two on the skeleton. Although not life threatening, skeletal damage is a cause for concern, because it cold be indicative of some damaged tissue beneath…and we know that if tissue is damaged, the possibility of something worse happening to the coral increases exponentially. It goes without saying that you should not remove a Fungia from the water while it’s tissues are expanded, because it will damage itself on it’s own skeleton upon removal. Use some common sense here!

I may have given you the wrong impression that these guys are super fragile, which they aren’t. They can be injured relatively easily if we’re not careful in handling them. However, with a dip, good environmental conditions, and quality care, they can recover nicely and live for many years in your aquarium. Bottom line: Inspect your potential purchases carefully, and understand what you might be getting into if you accept a damaged specimen.

1and3quarterinch-sunset-fungia-118.jpg

Oh, and since we know that they are typically free-living on the substrate when we get them, it makes sense to provide them with a reef system that can accomodate their lifestyle. In other words- they need substrate like sand to wander around on. You could keep them in a rubble-bottomed system, but, in my opinion, the possibility for damage in such a system is greater, especially given the fact that they move. They can unbury themselves if covered by sediment, and right themselves when flipped over. Pretty handy in the reef environment, if you ask me! Yeah, you caught that…they MOVE! That’s pretty crazy, huh? I mean, Fungia aren’t the “LE” poster children that Chalices are, but when was the last time your “Cornbread Trash Mummy Eye” moved on it’s own, huh? See, Fungia are cool.

Of course, when ANY coral moves, it can be a threat to its neighbors, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least tell you that there is always a chance for danger when these guys move. In fact, Eric Borneman writes in Aquarium Corals, “Fungia cause unilateral damage to over 94 percent of other corals by depositing thick mucus on them, causing necrosis.” Interesting, and a fair warning. I just want to know how they determined that “94 percent” of other corals can be damaged. Why not “93”, or “65” ? "Whatever, Fellman" Bottom line is that you should use caution when placing them in your reef.

They don’t need to be blasted with super high intensity lighting. They do well under what most reefers would call “moderate” lighting. We keep them under balanced T5 lighting in our systems at Unique Corals, and they do exceptionally well. Typical “reef” conditions for water chemistry parameters suit these corals just fine. The are not particularly finicky in terms of alkalinity, nitrate, or phosphate. Like I always say, don’t obsess over specific numbers…just keep a stable environment and they will do fine.

These corals come in many alluring colors, and that, in part, is what makes ‘em so appealing to us! You’ll see everything from solid oranges, greens, purples, and reds, to complex color patterns with contrasting borders and stripes of pigment. Literally, no two seem to be alike, which is super endearing, if you ask me. Of course, specimens that bear the cool colors and patterns tend to be more scarce, and that generally means that they are more expensive..shocker.

2andhalfinch-fungia-red-green-118.jpg

In the aquarium, don’t place your Fungia in systems where there is jacuzzi-power flow, or they’re likely to keep their tentacles retracted indefinitely to avoid damage, which, ironically, will lead to complications, stress, and eventual death for the coral anyways. They like more moderate flow, or strong flow, but not directed at the bottom of the tank. again, I like sand, but I have seen them kept in bare-bottom systems. Just not my favorite look.

Rejoice, coral feeding lovers- Fungia like to eat!

Although they host zooxanthellae in their tissues, they appreciate supplemental feedings of marine-based foods like finely chopped seafoods, mysid, etc. They can handle surpassingly large pieces of foods, too! Although they may remain inflated throughout the day in a reef where the conditions are to their liking, the best time to feed them, IMHO, is at night, when they are fully inflated and in feeding “mode”, ready to accept larger quantities of food. It helps to reduce the flow to keep food going towards the corals. target feeding is the most efficient method. Of course, being completely helpless, these corals can easily have their food “jacked” by bottom dwelling fishes, shrimp, and other inverts, so make sure that everyone gets their fair share. Feed them often for optimum health.

Yes, they have been propagated in captivity via fragmentation. They can respond remarkably
when going “under the knife”, and this bodes well for more serious commercial propagation efforts. The Fungia genus will also reproduce asexually. “Daughter” colonies and polyps may form from broken pieces. They have been known to start regenerating on a supposedly dead skeleton if left in the aquarium, which is quite intruiging. They will also create new daughter polyps from the edge of the coral.

You can propagate Fungia by encouraging the budding of “daughter” colonies. You do this by carefully scoring the tissue in between the "teeth" of the coral with a sharp knife. It’s kind of risky, and not my favorite technique, but doable. You need to make sure that the coral is healthy before attempting this type of fragmentation. Of course, you can resort to simply breaking the coral in half with gloves by using a small wedge and hammer, but it’s kind of hardcore, if you ask me! Using a Dremel or other motorized saw is more civilized, and works far better, producing a cleaner cut. You cut pie-shaped frags from a whole specimen, and they do quite well as long as you provide healthy environmental conditions and feed regularly during their recovery.

UC1inch-project-x-fungia-248.jpg

Okay, so this has not been a graduate level thesis on the genus Fungia and its care in captivity, but I hope I raised a few points that will help you in your efforts with them. For that matter, I hope that I’ve piqued your interest in them enough so that you’ll get rid of a few Montipora capricornus and keep some Fungia instead! (More Monti Cap hating…LOL). I think that you’ll find that the humble Fungia is way more than a “doorstop” that sits on the sand in your reef. It’s an engaging, colorful coral, with endearing habits and fascinating morphology. In addition to being an interesting coral to keep in your reef, Fungia has great potential for commercial propagation, helping reduce pressures on wild populations for generations to come.

Until next time,

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

UC2inch-blueish-tentacle-orange-fungia-128.jpg

2andhalfinch-fungia-sp-oddball-78.jpg

1and3quarterinch-sunset-fungia-118.jpg

2andhalfinch-fungia-red-green-118.jpg

UC1inch-project-x-fungia-248.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love my fungia! It looks just like this one from your article:

uqy4e7ym.jpg

I've thought about attempting propagation several times, but I'm afraid I'd kill it instead of reproducing it.

I didn't know they moved. That explains why when I set him on a rock, I later find him back on the sandbed...every time...

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott
Another fun read!!! thanks!! enjoyed reading while munching on my "health salad" trying to cut down on the carbs. About that... I love feeding my plate!!! I think it is the jewish mother thing in my genes and the plate is a great little eater.... very satisfying interaction with my orangina....

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott
Another fun read!!! thanks!! enjoyed reading while munching on my "health salad" trying to cut down on the carbs. About that... I love feeding my plate!!! I think it is the jewish mother thing in my genes and the plate is a great little eater.... very satisfying interaction with my orangina....

Glad you liked, Barbara! I can relate to the "Jewish Mother" thing...there is some visceral pleasure we all get from feeding corals...! And I like the "interaction" thing..With any coral that you're feeding, there seems to be a greater understanding of its "baseline" behaviors, appearance, etc...making it easier to rest when something doesn't go right.

-Scott

TCatlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first saw evidence of conscience moving when I rearranged my sand bed and placed two fungia much closer together. The larger of the two was unhappy enough that over several days it walked 2" and appeared to be attempting a hostile take over by creeping on top of the other causing some tissue recession in the 'victim'. They now live on opposite sides. The first couple days I assumed that I was imagining that the distance was closing as I was very subtle and less than 1/2 inch per day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

GoingPostal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love plates, just bought a new one but unfortunately lost it within a few days, I think possibly to my new shrimp. I had several in the past that were sold due to a downgrade. This was my favorite.
2007_0826fishtank0062.jpg

platecoral017.jpg

Had a little plate producer pop up on the back of a trachy
TiffanyMeeting006.jpg

Bought a dying plate but it did as they often do and popped out babies some months later
nov112008038.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little story about just how resilient this 'Zombie' coral is...

I recently found a 'batch' of tiny baby Fungia on 15+ year old live rock. They were so small that I only found them by tiny flecks of florescence when only the actinic lighting was on.

The interesting part is that I have never had any Fungia (or related genera) in any of my tanks...ever. The area where these little guys came from was originally covered by an encrusting Pavona varians that was attacked/desimated by a Ricordia florida.

Here they are on the night I found them (the exposed area seen here is ~ 1" and these babies are ~ 1/8" diameter):

12gUnknownStonyPolyps_040414_zps2eb19f73.jpg

I chiseled the area off and glued it to a small piece of rock rubble. I covered any Pavona bits with super glue to give these little Fungia a chance to grow up. The little guys are now enjoying 'freedom' and are chilling out on the sand bed (note the Fungia plate skeleton that is part of the LR matrix):

12gFungia_041314_zpsc369c9ba.jpg

A few weeks later, there are (5) distinct polyps with the largest being ~1/4". Feeding 2-3x/week is helping to get them going. I suspect they'll grow to be the typical brown with some green florescent highlights, but only time will tell.

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
ell first of all I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to Uniquecorals for the AWSOME AWSOME post. Read every word and felt totally educated. Yes Plate corals are my favorite as well. I'm lucky to own a colony of green fungie and 3 different baby plates growing wild on each one of their rocks. Here Is a few pics. Hey GoingPostal I really like the last pic of the orange baby colony. Do you still have them and would you be willing to sell that colony ??????

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 657
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 640
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 668

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few more pics of my baby's growing wild.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 647
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 660
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 655

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back