Steve's 180 of Madness

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is playing with fire? I am. Yeah baby.

I did have a nice sit down talk with the hammer, torches and LTA. They have agreed to a truce, so as long as I keep feeding the tank as I do and I keep everything stable.

IMG_8005.jpg
Are we betting on who is still there and happy in a month?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we betting on who is still there and happy in a month?
LTA and my original torch have been touching for months now. New torches are the new ones on the block. Even the original torch colony touched the hammer from time time with no issues.

So if you want to bet on the new ones, I guess you could lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, hopefully will get the kessils and the t5 hybrid put back over the 180 this weekend lol. Still have not done that.

My only concern (well Kristy's) is the light spill. I do not want to do a hood, the T5 fixture is to large to print a shade for and I need to come up with something to act like a shade. Here is where I am at a loss.

Was thinking some acrylic sheet that was heated and bent to "sit" on the fixture, but worried about heat from the fixture. After that, I have nothing lol. It would need to come down about 3" to prevent her from being blinded by the bulbs when she looks at the tank while sitting down. I did think about some aluminum sheeting done the same way, but then I would have to powder coat it and that will not fit in my oven, unless I cut it up and then affix back together.

Luckily, for the kessils, I can just pay to have some printed (leaning on @dantimdad here lol)

Either way, will at least leave a pic of one of my scorps in the 180 lol

IMG_7995.JPG

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, hopefully will get the kessils and the t5 hybrid put back over the 180 this weekend lol. Still have not done that.

My only concern (well Kristy's) is the light spill. I do not want to do a hood, the T5 fixture is to large to print a shade for and I need to come up with something to act like a shade. Here is where I am at a loss.

Was thinking some acrylic sheet that was heated and bent to "sit" on the fixture, but worried about heat from the fixture. After that, I have nothing lol. It would need to come down about 3" to prevent her from being blinded by the bulbs when she looks at the tank while sitting down. I did think about some aluminum sheeting done the same way, but then I would have to powder coat it and that will not fit in my oven, unless I cut it up and then affix back together.

Luckily, for the kessils, I can just pay to have some printed (leaning on @dantimdad here lol)

IMG_7995.JPG
I've got nothing... but I am following along for moral support and to learn through your experience :) ;)

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using kydex instead of acrylic? It's light, opaque, and workable under heat.

Kydex works and bends pretty easily with heat, but you do need a direct heat gun for it. I wouldn't Think the t5 or LEDs could produce enough heat to warp it in the future.
I have, but due to cost, not available locally and the fact I need at least an 8' x 1' piece steered me away from it quickly.

The fixture is 61.5" long and 18.25" wide. This puts me at 98" overall if not factoring the bends around the corners. I could skimp on the back side, so 96" would work just fine. Plus I could even not do but a small bit to wrap around the right side, as there is a wall there.

I also have the option of just doing a drop down of wood around the edge of the shelf. That really doesn't interest me much, as it would need "something" on it to just not be bland.

Here is what I am working with. Fixture would be same height as lights. Take off a few inches for the shades.

IMG_7982 4.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7995.JPG

Pay?! Never! just let me know whatcha need man. :)

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay?! Never! just let me know whatcha need man. :)
You gonna get paid lol. Either by macro or a massive leather I may end up getting rid of lol.

Was thinking of these, as the go to a square instead of just a round shade.

It says it is for an AE360, but wonder if that is just a typo. Especially when you red the comments and see what to scale it to for an X.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gonna get paid lol. Either by macro or a massive leather I may end up getting rid of lol.

Was thinking of these, as the go to a square instead of just a round shade.

It says it is for an AE360, but wonder if that is just a typo. Especially when you red the comments and see what to scale it to for an X.

How many and what color? I will start on them tonight.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 10" piece of brown vinyl siding ??
something like that never crossed my mind. Not sure about brown, but think maybe something along the lines with some texture or something may work.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did something.

50g rubbermaid tub, on a stand in the garage closet, 100g rubbermaid tub to the left for a sump, sand and rocks setup like a shoreline, returns hidden under oyster clusters at the surface, mangroves moved to it, and 4' 6 bulb t5 that is soon to be a hybrid after some gutting.

Plan is to just use this for temp holding when I frag things and keep it same params as the 180 and 500. Residents will only be a massive green brittle star, choc chip star (both in sump) and a stone crab in the frag section. I may add some snails and hermits, as the stone crab could care less about them. But the small light over the sump allows for the choc chip star to get plenty of food and I feed the green brittle shrimp and scallops. I still think I will have to dose NO3 and PO4, as a few pieces of shrimp/scallops a week for the brittle and crab may not be enough. We shall see though.

Frags will be after the slope and I may throw some macro on the "slope"

150lbs of rock in sump, 60 or so in the "frag" section, and 8 gallons of sand. Rocks have never been dry and some are 40 years old lol. Not much coralline, as they have been in the dark, but a few spots here or there and always ghost feed ammonia via a doser or by hand to keep them alive.

Excuse the DIY overlfow box lol. It looks like crap and I need to take off to paint black.

IMG_8031.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back