Steve's 180 of Madness

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it look like now? Haven’t seen an updated pic. And if you frag and sell it, must have that name.
I'll get you a pic tomorrow. It's starting to table out. I'll call it whatever I need to so that your lady doesn't hate us... :)

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Things are trucking along.

But I did something. Got another yak. Not a Hobie, so the Hobie folks are going to beat me up lol. Oldtown 120 pdl. Thought about the autopilot, but it sits in the pedal drive location and I like having 3-4 options for propulsion.

That said, it will soon have a bow mount xi3 trolling motor (gps and spot lock),100ah lithium battery, 7” gps/fish finder, and Livescope. It will also have my typical setup for nav/anchor lights and other stuff. Right now it is a clean slate.

You can see my little 10.5 Hobie back there for creek/river fishing all decked out lol.

9E89E30C-1E8B-4AB6-A40B-ADD1BC97048E.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessss. We're looking for a paddle yak currently
I do not miss a paddle yak at all. I still paddle, but having a drive is awesome. Hobie for creeks/small river/sw flats due to kick up fins and no worry on grass/weeds clogging a prop. Prop for big lakes and open water. Empty and just me, I got 6.2 mph on the 120 pdl. Probably couldn’t hold that for more than 15-20 minutes, but leisurely pedaling and I can hold 3mph all day long. I troll at 1-2 lol. Trolling motor is just for a back up or need to haul rear to a spot or come in.

If you are doing sw, paddle or drive, go with a sit on top. Easier to right if flipped, almost impossible to sink, and if wide enough you can stand up.

Been yaking for years, so if you find one you like, let me know. Can give some insight into it, if you want.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not miss a paddle yak at all. I still paddle, but having a drive is awesome. Hobie for creeks/small river/sw flats due to kick up fins and no worry on grass/weeds clogging a prop. Prop for big lakes and open water. Empty and just me, I got 6.2 mph on the 120 pdl. Probably couldn’t hold that for more than 15-20 minutes, but leisurely pedaling and I can hold 3mph all day long. I troll at 1-2 lol. Trolling motor is just for a back up or need to haul rear to a spot or come in.

If you are doing sw, paddle or drive, go with a sit on top. Easier to right if flipped, almost impossible to sink, and if wide enough you can stand up.

Been yaking for years, so if you find one you like, let me know. Can give some insight into it, if you want.
I totally typed the wrong thing, pre coffee..... We got this outrigger set super cheap and want something tandem to take out together w/ it, figure *pedal* or drive or something that could do both if we wanted to take a break pedaling

We each have our own wilderness systems sit on top kayaks, his is 12 mine is 10.

He'd love a hobie.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally typed the wrong thing, pre coffee..... We got this outrigger set super cheap and want something tandem to take out together w/ it, figure *pedal* or drive or something that could do both if we wanted to take a break pedaling

We each have our own wilderness systems sit on top kayaks, his is 12 mine is 10.

He'd love a hobie.
Right now, the Hobie tandem is on sale. It is super stable and I have thought about buying one for a single person fishing setup lol. Just use one drive and the rest of the room for a live well lol.

Hobie is great, pricey though. I have a PA14 fully decked out with everything. Even vhf radio and small radar unit that is on a 10’ piece of pvc lol. That is what I use to fish offshore, so it is useless up here.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done crap with the tanks besides refill the 2 part in the 180 and feed them all. Been hardcore working on the yak. Spot lock is awesome, live scope is even more awesome (cheating lol), but I was missing something. Needed a better rod holding solution and a spider rig. Been working on those with some scrap pvc and should be done today.

I did go out in it this past weekend. Caught limit on Crappie very quickly and then moved to bass fishing. Crappie was via live scope and bass was not. Didn’t feel like changing from down view to front view and changing my settings.

And here is a crappie. For anyone that knows me, they know I have gorilla hands. This guy was about 14”. To wide and tall to fit in the crappie checker lol.

0A798DB6-B225-41CE-8ECA-D2B3B2AAC63B.jpeg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done crap with the tanks besides refill the 2 part in the 180 and feed them all. Been hardcore working on the yak. Spot lock is awesome, live scope is even more awesome (cheating lol), but I was missing something. Needed a better rod holding solution and a spider rig. Been working on those with some scrap pvc and should be done today.

I did go out in it this past weekend. Caught limit on Crappie very quickly and then moved to bass fishing. Crappie was via live scope and bass was not. Didn’t feel like changing from down view to front view and changing my settings.

And here is a crappie. For anyone that knows me, they know I have gorilla hands. This guy was about 14”. To wide and tall to fit in the crappie checker lol.

0A798DB6-B225-41CE-8ECA-D2B3B2AAC63B.jpeg
I have been trying to find a good place for crappie. We need to talk.

and yes you have meat hooks for hands just like me. lol

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to find a good place for crappie. We need to talk.

and yes you have meat hooks for hands just like me. lol
These were from woods reservoir. Tullahoma, Tn.

By you, Wilson lake below wheeler dam is great. I fish for stripe, hybrids and white bass there. Crappie are loaded up town creek and blue water creek. On wheeler lake, cotaco creek, elk river and poplar creek are all good. Just find structure and should be good. They are not heavily fished on the tn river, so get big. This time of year 16-24’ ft of water and about 1-2’ above whatever structure they are sitting on down there.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were from woods reservoir. Tullahoma, Tn.

By you, Wilson lake below wheeler dam is great. I fish for stripe, hybrids and white bass there. Crappie are loaded up town creek and blue water creek. On wheeler lake, cotaco creek, elk river and poplar creek are all good. Just find structure and should be good. They are not heavily fished on the tn river, so get big. This time of year 16-24’ ft of water and about 1-2’ above whatever structure they are sitting on down there.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem. Bout to take the yak out now lol. Local spot on priest. Not the greatest, but want to test out autopilot on the trolling motor. I already have routes saved for that area, so we will see how it does.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the auto pilot run?
awesome. I had paths on my 93sv and was able to connect it to my 73sv via bluetooth and download all of my spots from the bass boat to the yak fish finder. from there, I had to upload to the GPS module on the trolling motor and done. Pain in the butt for that part, as the trolling motor is meant to link to Lowrance and not Garmin lol.

I was able to autopilot previous trolling routes at .43 mph like it was nothing. Even with 10-15 mph winds. On the way back I let it run me back to the ramp and set top speed to 4mph. It held 3.8-4.1 going into into/sideways the wind.

Very happy with it. Especially since I forgot the pedal drive at home lol.

Back