Stichidactly gigantea + haddoni prices

dnledman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize I might be a bit behind the times here, was a reefer for 15 years on and off and got back into it about 2 years ago. I was at an LFS recently and saw a red haddoni the size of a half dollar listed for $1200. I always remembered them being in the 3-500 range. Is this a good price for these nems nowadays?

If it’s way off anyone have a suggestion for a good place to get a Stichidactly gigantea or Haddoni online?

thanks

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the going rate... hard to import, hard to keep.... and any color other then green is $$

Attachments

• 20210417_144758.jpg
    20210417_144758.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210408_164315.jpg
    20210408_164315.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 62

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reds are way higher in price. You can find a green gigantea for $500 though

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep Giganteas, but for Haddonis I have an electric pink one I got for USD$450, electric blue for USD$300, lavender purple for USD$350, and electric red/orange yesterday for USD$800, here in Japan. I see them going for more in the US, but competition is greater there because here most people don’t have room for larger aquariums.

~12 years ago I got a lavender one for about USD$150, reds were about USD$300-400 at the time. The amount of hobbyists has increased exponentially and the turnover is ~90%+

Last edited:

reefingit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep Giganteas, but for Haddonis I have an electric pink one I got for USD$450, electric blue for USD$300, lavender purple for USD$350, and electric red/orange yesterday for USD$800, here in Japan. I see them going for more in the US, but competition is greater there because here most people don’t have room for larger aquariums.

~12 years ago I got a lavender one for about USD$150, reds were about USD$300-400 at the time. The amount of hobbyists has increased exponentially, and because the turnover is ~90%+, there are always new people entering and old people leaving after they’ve killed everything they bought...

would you mind sharing where you are getting your carpets from? Those prices are really reasonable.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various online and local vendors, Yahoo auctions is big here and has a huge selection, which is nice.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica, haddoni, and gigantea have all slowly gone up in price over the past few years -- due to the ability to actually keep them alive (versus in the past where the mortality rate was extremely high) and thus the increased interest in them... more people have healthy ones and are sharing photos which leads to more people wanting them in their own tanks.

For the rarer color morphs (such as a red haddoni or blue gigantea) it's become a "whatever the market will bear" pricing model. You'll see prices vary by hundreds of dollars.

I'd be skeptical of a red haddoni that's the size of a half dollar. It may be one of those blood red mini carpets. If it actually is a haddoni, then the LFS is probably charging what they normally would for a red one, or are increasing the price a bit due the rarity of a tiny red haddoni.

OP
OP
dnledman

dnledman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks is everyone for the replies, I think what shocked me most was the size of the thing. This all puts into into a solid perspective however.
I am going to wait to upgrade my lights and the. Look in the 4-700 range. Really appreciate it!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica, haddoni, and gigantea have all slowly gone up in price over the past few years -- due to the ability to actually keep them alive (versus in the past where the mortality rate was extremely high) and thus the increased interest in them... more people have healthy ones and are sharing photos which leads to more people wanting them in their own tanks.

For the rarer color morphs (such as a red haddoni or blue gigantea) it's become a "whatever the market will bear" pricing model. You'll see prices vary by hundreds of dollars.

I'd be skeptical of a red haddoni that's the size of a half dollar. It may be one of those blood red mini carpets. If it actually is a haddoni, then the LFS is probably charging what they normally would for a red one, or are increasing the price a bit due the rarity of a tiny red haddoni.
Agree. Becareful on these tiny carpet that are bright red. Almost all of them are not Haddoni.
These guys are not Haddoni picture from the internet, not mine. These sellers do not sell them as Haddoni. 1st picture from Unique Corals and the 2nd from Corals Anonymous
RedMaxiMiniCarpetAnemone.jpg

image_cf6e8c43-1b0e-42d6-8078-0909583251fd_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but those guys go for USD$300 here. All mini carpets are very expensive here because most people here have small aquariums!

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red/Pink/Orange Haddoni always demands a high price. I would expect to pay anywhere between $100-200 for a freshly imported Gig, and $300-500 for a healthy/treated one. I haven't been in the market for Haddoni in quite a while but they always seem to be cheaper than Gigantea.

I've got Gigs online from Galactic Corals and Blue Kai Aquatics. They both came in great health and did not need to be treated before adding to my tanks which for me is a big decision maker.

Back