stichodactyla Haddoni what considered Open mouth?

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow reefers,
My tank parameters is in line with no nitrates. I recieved this new fish eater addition with 2hours drip acclamation to my 75gl long (6month) with plenty of water flow. My question to the professor is, what’s considered open gaping mouth? Hoping for some guidance, Best to all and be safe specially in these Corona days

38F73BF1-D030-443B-BEDB-9793C1D97C48.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a normal response to acclimation.
You do want some nitrates.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gaping mouth is one where it appears as if the anemone has lost control of keeping it closed -- lose, lacking any tightness, possibly with siphonoglyphs exposed. If the mouth is open, or inverted and appears overly inflated, that could possibly be a feeding response or it's just acclimating.

You also mentioned plenty of water flow. Haddoni actually don't like a ton of flow (in contrast to gigantea and magnifica). Just keep enough flow moving over the top of the oral disk, but not enough to lift up the skirt. Since haddoni are sand dwellers, they don't have the ability to use their verrucae to cling onto the rockwork to keep the skirt down.

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just added it, then what I'm seeing is pretty normal for it to be stressed. If it's been in there for a while then not as normal to be stressed and gaping.
Thanks for your Quick response!! It’s been there since yesterday. Bought it online, it arrived with 48hr shipping, but it was very jelly and mouth loose and very big(I didn’t know which way was up or down, and I actually thought it was laying upside down) This is a new photo where it’s all shrunken . Any advice appreciated

7CE4DA24-3454-4834-96EB-9AFC44D9EF53.jpeg

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a normal response to acclimation.
You do want some nitrates.
Thanks for quick first aid I did 20% water change just before it arrived and I’m running carbon, skimmer, Zeo and chaetomorph, maybe I should ease down on my water cleaning?
Also the last photo worries me (I know it’s ex spelling it’s inside when it poops)

F5CA8918-6AEC-41EF-ACC3-EA694D59C985.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule of with anemones .
Don’t add them to a system before it’s at least 1 year mature and parameters are stable .

I feed mine raw seafood , shrimp and the occasional bottom dwelling fish that swim too close .

image.jpg

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule of with anemones .
Don’t add them to a system before it’s at least 1 year mature and parameters are stable .

I feed mine raw seafood , shrimp and the occasional bottom dwelling fish that swim too close .

image.jpg
And to you also a big thanks for the help! The guy in the photo is an absolute beauty, probably pops under UV. Laughing at your comment about feeding I have plenty of favorite fish I really really stays away from him (if it survives) The tank is 6month old and haven’t had any problems, the other 3 bubble Tip is just doing perfect, no splitting eats fine and looks stunning. The hammer is doing great, so being impatient fueled by biggest wish (which doesn’t match our hobby) I pulled the trigger in a weak moment. Did water change checked all parameters and hoped for the best. Hope my impatience is not gonna cost a beautiful dream creature it’s life

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you say it was shipped via 2 day shipping? Who in their right mind ships a nem, a carpet nem 2 day shipping. It's probably very stressed and needs time to acclimate to your system.

You don't ever need to feed it, and it'll still thrive. Since it's a new addition, it's probably best not to feed it for at least a couple of weeks.

I disagree. Anemones will do much better when fed, carpet anemones as well have quite the appetite. Once it settles in and foots down you can attempt to feed it.

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you say it was shipped via 2 day shipping? Who in their right mind ships a nem, a carpet nem 2 day shipping. It's probably very stressed and needs time to acclimate to your system.

I disagree. Anemones will do much better when fed, carpet anemones as well have quite the appetite. Once it settles in and foots down you can attempt to feed it.
Appreciate your knowledge! I thought it was perfectly safe, since they probably had some shipping going on coming from their wild origin. The company i bought from showed up as an Italian web page www.masterfisch.it, so I was expecting overnight delivery (since I’m in Italy). But when the perfectly packed parcel (box/hard flamingo box with 3 heat elements/special thermometer bag, and then everything double bagged inside with no room for the bag to move around) arrived it was stamped as being shipping from France. So I’m just hoping for the best. Thanks for the advice on feeding, I’m of the same opinion as you and has tried to feed raw shrimp with no luck. The newcomer decided to pull its insides in and look a little more little a carpet. Please enjoy the edited photo and keep the good advice coming

746AB0AF-9CC1-40A8-AB25-D99931B39D84.jpeg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t recommend that you feed it right now. Hold off for a while and let it acclimate to your system. Since the mouth was just inverted and protruding out like that it will take more energy to digest the food you give it which doesn’t help your chances for survival.

Give it time to find a permanent spot. Watch for deflating and be prepared to treat it if it comes to that.

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t recommend that you feed it right now. Hold off for a while and let it acclimate to your system. Since the mouth was just inverted and protruding out like that it will take more energy to digest the food you give it which doesn’t help your chances for survival.

Give it time to find a permanent spot. Watch for deflating and be prepared to treat it if it comes to that.
Appreciate your time, what would a treatment be and which scenarios? Thanks for your help

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you mean by much better. I feed all of my anemones, some more than others. If I don't want them to grow much, I feed sparingly. But again, they don't ever need to be fed directly -- lighting and leftover food that floats by is enough to keep a anemone "happy".

Haddoni in particular can become huge if regularly fed, and this one can quickly outgrow a 75 gallon tank.

Furthermore, frequent feeding can also mean more waste, more pollution, more water changes.

I like a balance -- anemones that are indeed thriving, but not growing too big and not causing too much waste.

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you mean by much better. I feed all of my anemones, some more than others. If I don't want them to grow much, I feed sparingly. But again, they don't ever need to be fed directly -- lighting and leftover food that floats by is enough to keep a anemone "happy".

Haddoni in particular can become huge if regularly fed, and this one can quickly outgrow a 75 gallon tank.

Furthermore, frequent feeding can also mean more waste, more pollution, more water changes.

I like a balance -- anemones that are indeed thriving, but not growing too big and not causing too much waste.
Again thanks for your input I weigh everything and take it with me. First of all I would like it to live.[dot] second of all I would love for it to thrive. Third I would like it to double it’s size (on the photo) And will feeding it after that so it doesn’t control the whole tank. The times I tried putting some raw shrimp pieces on it “sticky paws” it held on to it for 2 mins a let it go. My question is, Wouldn’t a hungry Haddoni put it in it mouth if it’s hungry? In my case which some of your answer advices it wasn’t hungry. (I just would sleep well if I hadn’t tried)

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on if it deflates (becomes like a pan cake and flat without or the mouth starts to gap and invert like your previous picture. Treatment protocols is listed in the sticky areas the top of this forum.

it is normal for Haddoni to sometimes spread out and look flat like a mushroom. This is not deflating. Majority of the time it will saddle up as 95% of the pictures depict.

since it’s not sticky and holding onto food I would wait on feeding. In the future weeks when your feeding frozen to your fish, let it catch a few shrimp and watch if it eats. If it still doesn’t hang on then you might have to force feed by dropping a small shrimp into its mouth. You can substitute with pellets of that is easier for you to target.

OP
OP
FullReefSurvivalMode

FullReefSurvivalMode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on if it deflates (becomes like a pan cake and flat without or the mouth starts to gap and invert like your previous picture. Treatment protocols is listed in the sticky areas the top of this forum.

it is normal for Haddoni to sometimes spread out and look flat like a mushroom. This is not deflating. Majority of the time it will saddle up as 95% of the pictures depict.

since it’s not sticky and holding onto food I would wait on feeding. In the future weeks when your feeding frozen to your fish, let it catch a few shrimp and watch if it eats. If it still doesn’t hang on then you might have to force feed by dropping a small shrimp into its mouth. You can substitute with pellets of that is easier for you to target.
Good stuff a lot to learn, thx m8

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last picture look good. I am sure he was stressed from shipping. Just leave him alone for now. Don't feed him until he is absolutely healthy. Feeding them when they are sick does a lot more harm than good.
Haddoni does not want a lot of flow, just need bright light. Flow should not move the anemone too much, especially should not lift the oral plate of this species.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back