Sticking suggestions for a 42x42x12 shallow lagoon

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some fish suggestions for a 42x42x12 shallow reef tank the will be either sps or lps dominant.
How many gallons does it work out to be? 42” is pretty big but 12” is super super short. I think some wrasses will do you good if you’ve got a sand bed. Dartfish/firefighter are also good choices. I really like cherub/flameback angels but they may pick on corals, it just depends on the fish you get. Clowns are always a popular choice, very easy to care for and with all the new designers these days you can have a very specific look in your tank with them. Do you prefer ‘swimming around’ fish or perching/ground dwelling fish?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons does it work out to be?

42" x 42" x 12" x 0.00434 gallons/cubic inch = 91.9 gallons

I need some fish suggestions for a 42x42x12 shallow reef tank the will be either sps or lps dominant.

I think of frag tank type fishes. Chrysiptera spp damsels. Six line wrasse. Starry blenny. Meiacanthus spp blennies. Orchid dottyback. Mandarin if the tank has rock.

OP
OP
B

bare_bottom_lagoonmi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons does it work out to be? 42” is pretty big but 12” is super super short. I think some wrasses will do you good if you’ve got a sand bed. Dartfish/firefighter are also good choices. I really like cherub/flameback angels but they may pick on corals, it just depends on the fish you get. Clowns are always a popular choice, very easy to care for and with all the new designers these days you can have a very specific look in your tank with them. Do you prefer ‘swimming around’ fish or perching/ground dwelling fish?
I want them both swimming fish and perching fish total watet volume of the tank 120 gallons 91 gallon display and 30 gall sump it has rock in it and im thinking about sand also.

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be kinda hard to cover that much surface area so be careful with known jumpers at 12” depth. One of my fav fish is little captive bred filefish by ORA or was it Biota- white spotted Pygmy filefish- I think max size was three inches but mine never got that big. They’re reef safe (most filefish aren’t) and super cool inquisitive little dudes. Eat a ton for their size and are so cool at night because they like to grab on to something w their mouth like a gorgonian to sleep/rest

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back